Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing Hops?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
sidebung
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 31
Default Growing Hops?

My wife is a very good gardner and since I am now making my own beer she wants to grow some hops for me. We live in the Chicago area (zone 5 for growing if that means anything to anyone). Does anyone have any thoughts about this? And what kind of hops? How to get started?


sidebung is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #2
SGT-RIEL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 41
Default

I know cascade hops grow well there. If you go to the main page there is a forum just for hop growing. In that forum there is a thread for Chicago hop growers hope that helps .


SGT-RIEL is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
growinghops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bloomington, Mn
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Your climate is perfect for growing hops. As far as what types of hops depends on the beer styles you prefer. There are 2 basic catagories: bittering hops and aromatic hops. there is some cross over of bittering and aromatic qualities in all hops, some more than others. A safe bet is Cascade hops for aroma and Nugget or Magnum for bittering (these are high yielding hop varieties). Most hop varieties will do well where you are at. Some varieties yield much more than others so it comes down to preference and available space.
growinghops is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
cuinrearview
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Delton, MI
Posts: 1,174
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default

+1 to cascade. Every grower should have one! They do well pretty much everywhere and seem to be pretty hands off.

Seems that Mt. Hood does well in the midwest as well. Most of the noble varieties are kind of low-yielding. They are susceptible to disease and the bugs like them as well. But, if your wife has a green thumb then this shouldn't be a problem.
__________________
Looking forward to brewing some beer
cuinrearview is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:20 AM   #5
QueenCityALER
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Charlotte area NC, NC
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
+1 to cascade. Every grower should have one! They do well pretty much everywhere and seem to be pretty hands off.

Seems that Mt. Hood does well in the midwest as well. Most of the noble varieties are kind of low-yielding. They are susceptible to disease and the bugs like them as well. But, if your wife has a green thumb then this shouldn't be a problem.
Right on. Chinook's going bonkers, and Hallerauers got a single feeble shoot. I'm prayin' for the little bugger, though!!!
__________________
GO! MANCHESTER UNITED! GO!
The blood of Vikings runs through my veins... and sometimes their beer.

Hell or High water Brewery

All Brews: ALL GRAIN ALL THE TIME!
QueenCityALER is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #6
Ceedubya
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 1,515
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCityALER View Post
Right on. Chinook's going bonkers, and Hallerauers got a single feeble shoot. I'm prayin' for the little bugger, though!!!
My Hallertau now has 5 shoots, but they are all small. The Williamette on the other hand only has one, but its really taking off!

I think next year I'm gonna add a Cascade as well, seems like something I should have.

I say go with the Cascade and see how well it does, then add more.
__________________
Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here! - The Dude

I don't understand the purpose of the line, "I don't need to drink to
have fun." Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and
sticks when they've invented the lighter?
Ceedubya is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:32 AM   #7
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
HBHoss's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mariposa, CA
Posts: 8,235
Liked 120 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceedubya View Post
My Hallertau now has 5 shoots, but they are all small. The Williamette on the other hand only has one, but its really taking off!

I think next year I'm gonna add a Cascade as well, seems like something I should have.

I say go with the Cascade and see how well it does, then add more.
Did you ever get your frame done using the parts from the former carport?


HBHoss is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Growing Hops its02003 Recipes/Ingredients 10 04-08-2010 01:08 AM
Hops growing Buckhuntr Hops Growing 2 05-03-2009 03:11 AM
Growing hops! Nightbiker Hops Growing 14 04-01-2009 03:37 PM
growing hops- MikeFlynn74 Recipes/Ingredients 14 11-25-2007 06:32 PM
Hops Growing pilkinga General Beer Discussion 2 01-05-2005 02:22 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS