Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Cider in primary

Old 02-28-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
abbeyroadhelp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cider in primary

I made some cider out of five gallons of apple juice a can of apple juice concentrate and two pounds of brown sugar. I pitched some US-05 ale yeast in a six gallon carboy. Its been two months and about a month ago I took a gravity reading and it was done fermenting, but it will not clear my question is how long can I keep it in the primary. I dont really want to rack it because of all the head space there will be. Should I just go ahead and boil some clearing agent and add it to the primary, any help will be appreciated.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
abbeyroadhelp
Recipes 

bump......

Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IMO, cider is really one of those drinks where it REALLY DOESN'T matter if it's clear or not.

I agree that pouring a nice clear cider into a wine glass is pretty.

When it's cloudy i just recommend a ceramic mug/coffee cup.

If you really want it to clear then you can use gelatin, but you really should rack it to another carboy first. You don't want to disturb the yeast you already have on the bottom.