Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Priming sugar substitute

Old 02-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
machinegunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming sugar substitute

I just got 3 ingredient kits from Northern brewer. They don't include priming sugar, and I'd rather not pay $7.99 in shipping to have it mailed to me. The closest beer supply store is 80 miles away. My local grocery stores don't have corn sugar. As a substitute, the rep at Northern Brewer said to use 2/3 cup of table sugar in 2 cups water. Does that sound like good advice, or not? Thanks.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, it's fine. I have no idea why people spend money on corn sugar for priming. There is so little sugar being added that even if it did add any kind of flavor (which it doesn't anyway) you wouldn't be able to pick it up. I always use table sugar.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Same here - been priming with table sugar for a while now.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Cane sugar is fine. Go here:
KotMF: Priming Sugar Calculator
to figure out how much you need (varies based on desired carbonation level, which is different from style to style).

There's a little dropdown on the page that lists different beer styles and their usual carbonation range, so just find your style and pick the middle of the range if you aren't sure.

You only have to fill out the volume of beer, desired carbonation, temperature of beer, and kind of sugar and hit calculate--it'll figure out the residual CO2 and the rest on its own.
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 02-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I just posted this on another thread, glad to help:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/prim...s-sugar-97782/

Old 02-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayaBrew View Post
I just posted this on another thread, glad to help:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/prim...s-sugar-97782/
That link doesn't tell you how many volumes of CO2 you're carbing to. The amount of sugar you use is going to vary based on that.

Also, it doesn't really make any sense to use different amounts of CO2 for kegging vs. bottling. The volumes of CO2 don't depend on the container size. I guess your tank would wind up force carbing up the difference anyway, but why bother priming then? I'd either prime fully and carb naturally, or skip priming and force-carb fully.
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 02-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #7
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinegunner View Post
As a substitute, the rep at Northern Brewer said to use 2/3 cup of table sugar in 2 cups water. Does that sound like good advice, or not? Thanks.
Table sugar works fine for priming.

If you can swing a 1/10th oz or a gram scale I'd do it. (about $15 off eBay, shipped) I think it will make small measurements like hops, priming sugar, etc, much easier and hella accurate.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
ericdaryl
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice. I spaced picking up priming sugar during my last trip to LHBS, so this is helpful!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I found that some kitchen gadget/gormet food stores have corn sugar. Also there it can be found in some healthfood stores. But table sugar will do in a pinch. You really don't need a whole lot.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2916 Times on 2523 Posts
Likes Given: 2054

I've used cooper's carb drops,& they work ok to 3-4 weeks in the bottle. After that,they tend to keep going & over carbonate.
Dextrose in bulk priming works very well indeed.
Table (beet) sugar seems to work equally well.
I picked up some Demerara sugar (raw cane sugar) that has a nice,light brown sugar with honey flavor to it. I'm going to try priming my IPA with it.
But I did finally pick up a scale at super wally world for $20. It has a tempered glass plate on it,& measures in pounds (10 max),kilograms,ounces,& grams. Real handy for all my measuring needs.
Especially priming sugar,since it's expressed in the calculators as being by weight,not volume. I use the priming calculator @ http://www.brewheads.com/priming.php
Worked out well for me.