This is a modified recipie of "Cherry Fever Stout" by Charlie Papazian gauged more towards my tastes and the available ingredients in my area.
6.6 Lbs plain Dark LME
1 lb. plain dark DME
1 lb crystal malt 60L
1/2 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb black patent malt
1.5 oz. Nugget Hops
1/2 oz Willamette Hops
4 tsp Gypsum
5 lbs sweet cherries (purchased from Trader Joe's - Frozen, crushed them in bag)
American Ale Type Yeast (Used Wyeast Ale Yeast Activator pack)
OG: 1.064 - 1.068 (Actual: 1.071)
FG: 1.018 - 1.026 (Actual: 1.021)
- Boiled & sterilized 3 gal tap water
- Heated 1.5 gal water to 165 degrees, steeped grains for 30 minutes @ 158 degrees
- Removed specialty grains and sparged with 1 gal of sterile water, transferred to brewpot.
- Added LME, DME, Gypsum, and Nugget hops @ boil
- Boiled for 60 minutes
- Removed boiling hops and sparged with 2 quarts sterile water.
- Removed from heat, added willamette hops and crushed cherries, steeped for 15 minutes to sterilize the cherries.
- brought temp down to 76 degrees, pitched yeast.
Any Feedback or comments on this recipie will be greatly appreciated.