Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Does everything seem OK ?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Does everything seem OK ?

Last weekend I made my 1st cider. Its been in the Carboy for about 4 days now. Here is what I did...

-Saturday AM mixed 5 gallons unpastuerized no perservative cider with 1Kg corn sugar and 1/4 tsp Potasium Metabisulphite. OG was 1.068

-Left Uncovered for 12 hours

-At 12 hr mark added about 2 tspns pectic enzyme

-Left uncovered for another 12 hrs

-At 24 hr point Sunday AM pitched Wine yeast at about 21 Degrees C and covered with airlock. Yeast was proofed with some warm water

-it is now Thursday AM and there is definite action in the airlock...a bubble about every 5 seconds and there is a layer of scummy looking foam ontop light beige/brownish (cider is brown still at this point)

-I was going to just leave it for at least 3-4 weeks, then take another gravity reading.

Does everything seem to be OK at this point? What is the FG I should be targeting for? I plan on priming it before I bottle it to carbonate.

What should I be looking for in the weeks to come?

Thanks !

Old 02-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 63 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Everything seems normal. Just let her rip. Need to know what yeast you used. A wine yeast will ferment dry (below 1.000?) as will most beer yeasts (near 1.000).
Mead Lane Brewing
The liver is evil and must be punished
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Most wine yeast will take that down to between .996 and 1.000. Should have quite a kick to it. Everything sounds great so far, as does your plan to leave it be for a few more weeks at least. Maybe just rack it in a few weeks, then let it clear up for a few more weeks before bottling.
Meads: Hababero and Sarrano Capiscumel, Show Mead possibly getting split and flavored, and 12 gallons of Bochet Deliciousness
Ciders:3 Ciders with differing additives TBD, Strawberry/Apple Cider
Wine: Black Cherry Vanilla Port