Mash Temperature Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedailyaustin

Reaction score
So I'm doing my first AG:

10# 2 row
2# chocolate malt
0.5# crystal 120
0.5# carapils
1# lactose

My strike water was about 170 which is what beersmith told me to do.
But then after adding my grains it was only about 148, so I added about a gallon of boiling water, which brought it to right about 151. I didn't preheat my MLT cause I forgot until after I put in my strike water.

Is this high enough or should i add some more to get it up to about 154?

I'm about 15 mins into mash.

You're fine. Leave it. Bear in mind that whatever the program or book tells you YMMV. After a few more batches you will start to get the feel of your brewery. :mug:

Sweet thanks. I figure it will turn out great no matter what. Out of curiosity is there a sweet spot temperature that most people try to hit? I've read 153-158 is good.

I like to mash at 158-160º for low-gravity beers. They need all the body they can get.

Higher gravity beers need to attenuate well. Lower mash temps, like 150ºF, can help.

Your particular brewery (and instruments) may require an adjustment factor. If you brew the same recipe, or something very close with the same yeast, you can dial this in.

I italicized yeast because I think it's a profoundly important factor in attenuation as well as overall flavor.

Yes there is a sweet spot - unfortunately it varies from beer to beer. Also as BigEd said you will need to figure it out for yourself for your system and process of brewing.

GT

this one is a learning experience. next time, you WILL preheat your MLT and whatnot.

i like IPA's, and am in constant search for my meathod.

anyway, i learned so much through doing my first dozen or so batches... lol.

and i thought it would take 2 or 3 batches... lmao!

all i can say right now, is DAYUUM! that is a ****LOAD of choc malt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have never seen a 5 gallon batch with mote that 25% of that choc malt grain bill.

i used a half lb of choc malt once in a porter... woops.
it was ok after a month in the bottle...but not even close to my fave porter.

is this a home recipe?

2 lbs might be ok for a 10 gallon batch, but even then, it is alot.

good luck!

dont forget, leave a sixer or so to sit an additional 3 months to a year or more if you dont like the beer at first!

nosmatt :)

I don't think you have to worry about him leaving some of that beer for three months or more. With that much chocolate malt he will probably be recapping each bottle halfway through to save for the next day.

1# of chocolate will last for for at least four batches for me. I don't think I have ever put more than a 1/4 lb in a batch.

As far as mash temp, there is not so much a sweetspot as an EXACT temp that you want to target for every batch. Your recipe and your goal for the batch will determine that exact temp. It will range from 148 up to 158.

Yes, 154 is a very good target temp and it is the one I used for my first 1/2 dozen batches.

Make sure your thermometer is very well calibrated because a variance of more than a few degrees will throw off your final product.

I suggest as a new brewer to first master your equipment rather than jumping into your own recipe. It is very important to like what you brew and with that much chocolate malt it's going to be very bitter from that grain! You don't want to get turned off of brewing by your very first brew. Make a really good ale that is very drinkable.

These are examples:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/bee-cave-brewery-haus-pale-ale-31793/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/nierra-sevada-session-snpa-clone-27673/

Back