Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > grain crush: wheat with barley

Old 02-26-2009, 12:24 AM   #1
anderj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default grain crush: wheat with barley

I haven't brewed a weissbier in a while, and while getting the grain from work I just spaced it and mixed all of the grain together. 9 lb Organic malted wheat, 7 lb weyermann pilsner. I realized that they might need to be milled separately but do you think I will be OK milling the whole bunch together? I was thinking about milling the whole thing with a finer crush than usual and add 1.5 -2 lb rice hulls.
Any thoughts?

-Ander

Old 02-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
mbird
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I have my mill set to crush wheat and am in the habit of just leaving the finer setting to crush the barley also. I end up with a very severe crush but I also use a braided s.s. instead of a false bottom and have never had a problem with a stuck mash.
mark
Beer Diary...

Old 02-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderj View Post
while getting the grain from work
where do you work?

You will be fine, there is no consequence, it is all going to be mashed and become one eventually

what kind ogf mill do you have? I don't really see the benefit to milling finer and adding rice hulls, but I have never tried

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 02-26-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 9

On my first batch, also a weisbier, with my Barley Crusher I did not have a drill that could power it so I decided to hand crank it. I wanted to double crush the wheat and single crush the pils malt, it is damn near impossible to crush wheat by hand. I did it but it sucked.

I brewed another batch the next week, I mixed them up and double crushed it all. Worked great, no sparge problems with my braid.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:24 AM   #5
anderj

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I guess that my worry was that my efficiency might not be quite as high with the wheat not being crushed as fine as it could be.

I work at a CO-OP, that I have convinced to sell brewing grain, hell they let me through a homebrew contest. Check it: Treasure Valley Organic Homebrew Challenge | Boise Co-op - Boise’s Green Grocery Store Since 1973

-ander

Old 02-26-2009, 01:44 AM   #6
vfinch
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderj View Post
I realized that they might need to be milled separately but do you think I will be OK milling the whole bunch together? I was thinking about milling the whole thing with a finer crush than usual and add 1.5 -2 lb rice hulls.
Sounds like a plan to me. If you're doing a batch sparge and use a stainless braid, I would take the advice I read on here awhile back: crush your grain until you're scared you went to far...then crush again.

As far as not being able to hand crank to crush wheat, I'm not sure what the situation is with barley crushers, but I haven't had any issues hand cranking with my Pokart crushing wheat whatsoever (25lbs of wheat so far...)

Next Up: Something...