Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Temperature strips accuracy

Old 02-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
PavlovsCat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temperature strips accuracy

The temp strips seem like a convenient idea. Had one on a carboy and the temp was reading about 77 degrees. The carboy was in a 68 degree water bath so I checked the temp with the digital probe. The wort was spot on 68F. I could have had a bad strip, but now I just use the digital probe taped to the outside of the carboy, with a little bit of insulation between it and the ambient air.

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
aubrey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine reads a couple degrees low (I have the northern brewer ones). The sticker said 64 the other day and a lab stick dropped in the test jar read 66/67. You probably have a bad strip if its reading 9* high.

Secondary: Bavarian Hefewizen (extract)
Bottle: Blue Moon clone, Sam Adams Boston Ale Clone, Christmas Chocolate Stout (All Grain)
Keg: AHS West Coast Pale Ale, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (All Grain)

Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

They are a pretty good approximation, but it seems to me that they measure the air temp more than the actual beer. I bet you have a bad strip.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 28 Posts

I put one of these strips on each of my first 3 carboys. Even empty, in the same ambient, they all read different temps. In approx. 70 degrees, one read 74, on read 78, and one was blank.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
PavlovsCat
Recipes 

My very first batch was fermented in the bucket with a temp strip attached, which read 70 degrees. When I went to bottle, I noticed that there was a banana odor, representing high esters. (used to make this stuff in chem class - it was a good thing back then). One of the reasons for ester formation is too high of a ferm. temp. Now I'm wondering.......

WARNING: Drinking may cause memory loss, or worse, memory loss.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

just a note I have the temp strip on my better bottle Im fermenting in. The temp strip read 68 degrees. For the heck of it I stuck my thermocouple in the wort, it read 76 degrees f.