Originally Posted by Patterson860
How did the beer turn out? I recently experienced a similar problem. I brewed an oatmeal stout with extract and my OG was way low. I'm guessing it's because the wort and water I added to get to 5 gallons wasn't mixed when I took the reading. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
I think Patterson 860 and EvilTOJ are on to something. I had a similar experience with a Hophead 75's SoBourbon Stout recipe (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/subourbon-stout-90830/
). My OG came out at 1.042 when expecting 1.063. However, I popped the top on the first one about a week ago and it hit me like a 1.06 or 1.07 OG. So, after reading this thread, I'm thinking I had some poor mixing after toping off to 5 gallons with fresh water. I think in the long run, the initial poor mixing resolves itself. I suppose if I knew the pre-top up gravity, I'd have a better idea...
Giving credit where due, Hophead 75's recipe doesn't disappoint. I've no complaints and will gladly use again!