Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > HABANERO for subtle flavor Best style & hops?

Old 02-24-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
mensplace
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HABANERO for subtle flavor Best style & hops?

This weekend I thorughly enjoyed sampling a broad range of beer styles made by the many breweries in the Asheville NC area. After a few days of pub crawling we enjoyed an evening of Mexican food in the Biltmore Village. When I asked for some sauce that was a tad warmer, I was brought a very finely minced habanero. Curously, it wasn't as hot s many I have had in the past, so I was able to actually taste the inherent sweetness and spiciness. Then the lightbult went on. THIS would be incredible if very subtly used in the background of the proper ale...NOT so as to totally predominate. This, of course, then led me to consider what best ale style would provide the best canvas for this..I'm thinking something that is basically dry and not dark...maybe a pale ale or lager? The too comes the consideration of the best hops...maybe something with natural citrus notes that, like a spice, would all work together with maybe one whole habanero, not chopped.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 697 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Check my drop down.

The Sterling Gold uses crushed black pepper for a bit of spice, but I'd imagine a touch of habanero pepper (stripped of seeds and with pith) would be fantastic.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
MarsColonist
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default havent done it

but I was thinking a Mexican lager with roasted, seedless habaneros and maybe some prickly pear... its on my short list of weird beers to make

"Luck is when opportunity meets preparation" - Seneca

Austin Zealots

Old 09-21-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
MarsColonist
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

<bump>

I made a 5gal batch of the smoked habenero amber lager out of Radical Brewing.. used one finely chopped Habenero, deseeded and deveined, in the boil. Beer is great. No heat, and you can certainly taste the pepper.

Austin Zealots

Old 09-21-2009, 04:45 AM   #5
cobalt60
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I might have to pick Radical Brewing up, I've been wanting to make a habanero beer for a while! Does the fruitiness of the habanero come out in the final product?

Old 08-28-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
ajwaka
Recipes 

I determined last week that Randy Mosher's Smoked Habanero was my next beer... You say no heat in the final product. Does the boil take away the sting of the pepper? I'm looking around and everyone who seems to be claiming heat mention that the habanero's are added secondary.

Don't get me wrong - I love heat in my food - just don't want too much in my beer. At least not for 5 gallons worth!

Thanks!

Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/foremostbrewing

Fermentation:
Nada.... Yet but working on the plan(s)!!

Kegged:
A shoot from the hip beer that I created & brewed withing 20 minutes.... palatable but maltier than I hoped

Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 AM   #7
MarsColonist
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwaka View Post
I determined last week that Randy Mosher's Smoked Habanero was my next beer... You say no heat in the final product. Does the boil take away the sting of the pepper?
I only used one pepper and took out the seeds and the white material along the inside. That is where all the heat is. The heat in this beer was barely noticeable after about 3 beers.

Austin Zealots

Old 09-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #8
ajwaka
Recipes 

HA! After 3 beers Thanks for the tip!

Follow me on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/foremostbrewing

Fermentation:
Nada.... Yet but working on the plan(s)!!

Kegged:
A shoot from the hip beer that I created & brewed withing 20 minutes.... palatable but maltier than I hoped

Old 09-01-2010, 03:24 AM   #9
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I did a big pepper experiment a while ago and habanero combined with aji panca is fantastic, they compliment each other well and the flavors remain distinct. For mine I wanted some heat so I added the peppers only partially deseeded to the secondary.

http://southamericanfood.about.com/o...g/ajipanca.htm

here's the thread, might be helpful:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/5x-p...2/#post2147327

Old 09-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Chadwell
Recipes 

Anyone else do any experimenting with habanero pepper in a 5 gallon batch? I was going to add habanero to a stout and there doesn't seem to be much information out there that I have found on how best to add it.

I saw one post (above) where the brewer added one whole pepper without seeds and white material to the secondary and another internet resource that did the following. I assume the half pepper still had seeds and veins. Anyone have any advice for me? Thanks!:

I made a habanero beer once in texas and it came out real good. You can use any type beer recipe. I just took a half of one habanero and boild it for 10 minutes then dropped in the secondary for a week. Beer had a nice normal beer flavor then the heat would hit. Not overpowering but you knew it was a hot pepper beer. That half of habanero was in a 5 gallon batch so if you like it real hot you might try a whole habanero or maybe more but they are HOT so don't get carried away.