Powerwashing the deck - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Powerwashing the deck

Old 06-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Oregon, WI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I'm off work today and tomorrow. Today I powerwashed my deck, including every little spindle, all 4 sides of each one. I never have done this before, but found it surprisingly enjoyable. It's amazing what one of those things will do. Tomorrow is staining day, I have a hard time imagining it will be as enjoyable. It won't be bad or anything, and nice to see how it looks when I'm done, but probably not as much fun. Now that powerwashing is done I think a few HBs are in order.

Bottoms up

Old 06-22-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Aren't you supposed to let the wood dry for a couple of days prior to staining after washing?

Check the instructions on the can...

Old 06-22-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Oregon, WI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Aren't you supposed to let the wood dry for a couple of days prior to staining after washing?

I checked the can, it said wood needs to be damp to dry before applying (any standing water needs to be wiped up). It's a Behr product which many people I know have been happy with. I can't wait to get it done tomorrow the deck already looks like a ton better after power washing.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
johnsma22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Taunton, MA
Liked 80 Times on 60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99

I was just thinking the same thing, so I called my nephew, who is a professional painter, and he told me that after power washing you want AT LEAST 2 full days of dry weather before painting or staining. He said the longer the better, but you also must stain or paint before it rains or you will have to start the drying time over again.

John

Old 06-22-2006, 07:37 PM   #5
uwmgdman

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Oregon, WI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I would wait, but I need to do it when I have time. It's baking in the sun nicely now and I know my dad has done his deck like this without problems (wash one day, stain the next).

Not to mention if I waited to the two days we'd have thunderstorms before I could stain or before it would dry and the waiting cycle would have to start again. So I'm going to go ahead with it tomorrow.

Old 06-22-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
I was just thinking the same thing, so I called my nephew, who is a professional painter, and he told me that after power washing you want AT LEAST 2 full days of dry weather before painting or staining. He said the longer the better, but you also must stain or paint before it rains or you will have to start the drying time over again.John
I agree.

The intent is for the stain to penetrate (get sucked into) the wood so the color will last longer. If the wood is wet the stain is just sitting on the surface (of the water), not into the wood.

Anyone else have any comments?

Old 06-22-2006, 08:48 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts

I used my power washer on an old redwood fence. Blew holes through the rotted places. Five or six years later, my house was being prepped for painting & they used a monster pressure washer to go over the woodwork. Stripped the paint and dryrot. Then they went around with filler. Looked great.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-23-2006, 01:03 AM   #8
alemonkey
Recipes 

Jan 2006
Lincoln, NE
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Are you going to use a sprayer? I just restained my deck about a month ago, and I used a hand held lawn wand sprayer. Made things A LOT easier.