Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > how far in advance do you plan your brews?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 28 Posts

I'm planned out to August 9th but I only get to brew every 2 weeks or so.

Drinking: RIS, Tripel, Tired Hands Style IPA, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead, Dusseldorf Altbier, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Sacch Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Maddmann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Now that I am finally settled into the new house, I try to brew about every three weeks. That way i can steadily build up the stock then adjust it later (by consumption). I also just brew whatever style sounds good at the moment.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #13
bluehouse
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks all for sharing info. I think I like the idea of brewing every three weeks even if you are not running low. That way when people stop buy & depleat your supply you are not degrading your stock. Regular shopping is about 10 miles from my home or work and the local convienance store stock leaves allot to be desired so I am going to put a brew day into my calendar every three weeks & try to plan and buy accordingly.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:25 PM   #14
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I get thinking about a brew when one of my kegs nears empty. Figure two weeks to think about it, order the stuff, and wait for a good brew day. Only way to avoid running out is to stock more. If you get in a pinch you can still brew and have it ready in time.
~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #15
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think Janet is asking how far in advance of needing the stuff to be available for drinking do we plan.

For me it depends on the style. If it is a standard beer I plan on 2 months until drinking. If I need a faster timeline I will go with a faster beer like a hefe.

On the other side of the spectrum I have a beer that will be ready for my Birthday party next weekend. Yay!!!!! I planned for this and brewed it last September. It has been sitting in bottles since November 1. (I did cheat and try one in December and it was terrible.) But 4 1/2 months should be enough for it to be drinkable.

As far as wines I don't know. I don't have the patience or knowledge for those so I don't make them.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #16
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I brew as recipes/styles pop on my radar. How far in advance I plan depends on what ingredients I need to get versus what I have on hand. My LHBS has been out of a lot of the odds and ends I've been needing lately so I have been planning a week+ in advance just in-case something has to be special ordered or I have to order online.

Beers that I want around on a specific time frame I plan for counting back from that date, taking into consideration brewing time.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How far in advance do I plan? lol I usually make the guy at the LHBS make me up a recipe when I walk in the door. I usually at least have an idea what I want to brew though on my way there.

Really though, I kinda start planning my brew a few days before brew day. But again, its normally just an idea of what I would like to try to brew.

I think up next I want to do an IPA or an IIPA.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #18
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts

I plan out a month in advance, and make an online order about once a month. If I need something else, or a special brew urge hits, I go to the LHBS.

I try to brew every other weekend, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #20
willangus
Recipes 

I generally have my next two or three planned. Right now I want to make another massive chocolate coffee stout, as I really enjoyed the complexity of the last one. Also, I want to try and clone a beer I tasted at a beer festival last week that was a pale ale spiced with ginger, that was absolutely beautiful.

Up next: 'Ginger Nut' Ginger spiced Pale Ale