Dawn of the Dead Ale Belgian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donthoseme

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1214 Belgian Ale
Yeast Starter
Harvested jar
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8HCU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
15 days @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
8 days @ 60
Tasting Notes
Superb. Very hoppy with a nice yeast back.
12# pale Malt
1# Victory
.5# Belgian Aromatic
1# carapils

Mash @ 152 for 90 mins.

1oz Summit (18.1% AA) @ 90min
2oz Armarillo (9.3% AA) @ 17 min
2oz East Kent Goldings (5% AA) Dry hop

This is definitley one of my favorite beers for all those who love IPA's. It comes in at about 8% and it's wonderful. It's got a blast of aggressive bitterness that slowly fades to a soft fruity belgian yeast background. The malt is there but in the background like an IPA should be in my opinion. To do again i would mash at 153 for 60 mins instead of the hour to try and get a little more malt in there but the hops and the complexity of this brew are something to be savored.

Yea i was hoping to still capture some of the belgian yeast aroma but next time i think i'll just cover it in hops and see what comes out!

It's break up now so things are pretty wet and dirty. But at least the snow is finally starting to melt. I noticed your from Colorado. My wife just got me my birthday gift. Two tickets to the Blues and Brews festival in Telleride, CO. I'm super pumped. I love Colorado! Are you giong to be going?

Im am going to be giving this brew a shot in the near future(will be my fifth AG batch) any suggestions for a newb outside of those you guys have already mentioned. The more specific the better! Thanks.

Donthoseme - Have you tried Midnight Sun's Mayhem? Sounds similar (double IPA with belgian yeast)...would be interested how you think this compares.

I am doing an IPA of some sort next and the belgian yeast thing sounds like a pretty tasty little twist on it.

I made my first BIAB with this recipe yesterday. I did a half batch and everything went well for the most part. I pitched onto a Wyeast 1214 yeast cake from a dubbel I just made.

The only problem was I ended up with too much pre-boil wort (4.5 gallons), so I boiled it down to 2.9 gallons instead of 2.5. It took 90 minutes to get there, and by that time I just decided to call it good and be happy that I'll get about 6 more bottles with the extra .4 gal. OG came out at 1.065, about 5 points lower than brewing calculators predicted. I know this is way lower than the 1.081 the recipe called for, but I'm sure it will be good anyways.

I also put the goldings in the boil for 2 min. I might dry hop with something really citrus like cascade.

Donthoseme - Have you tried Midnight Sun's Mayhem? Sounds similar (double IPA with belgian yeast)...would be interested how you think this compares.

I am doing an IPA of some sort next and the belgian yeast thing sounds like a pretty tasty little twist on it.

Sorry it took me so long to reply!!! i've been away from HBT for a little while. Yes i have. I actually bought a whole keg of it!!!! It's good but definitley different than mine. I think mine is a little maltier and with a different hop bite. I would say i prefer mine only because after it's been 2 years since i drank mine and after going through a whole keg of Mayhem, well i need a switch!!

I made my first BIAB with this recipe yesterday. I did a half batch and everything went well for the most part. I pitched onto a Wyeast 1214 yeast cake from a dubbel I just made.

The only problem was I ended up with too much pre-boil wort (4.5 gallons), so I boiled it down to 2.9 gallons instead of 2.5. It took 90 minutes to get there, and by that time I just decided to call it good and be happy that I'll get about 6 more bottles with the extra .4 gal. OG came out at 1.065, about 5 points lower than brewing calculators predicted. I know this is way lower than the 1.081 the recipe called for, but I'm sure it will be good anyways.

I also put the goldings in the boil for 2 min. I might dry hop with something really citrus like cascade.

any taste test yet.

Latest posts

Back