American Pale Ale Partial Mash Amarillo faux SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Wyeast American Ale 1056
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 - 64ish
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
17 - 60ish
Tasting Notes
smooth rich and hoppy but not overly
This is the first non-clone non-published recipe that I have actually felt comfortable posting.

I tried this brew after 3 weeks in the bottle and I tell ya - it is my favorite of the 21 batches I've brewed. All of my batches are normal beer - nothing fruity, just good ol Ambers, Porters, APA, IPA Stouts.

Not a TRUE SMaSH but for us Partial mash people it's close.

Simple yet effective.

Brew Date 1/03/09
Bottle date 2/10/09

Longer then normal in the carboys but there seems to be more smoothness in the mouthfeel - could be recipe? could be a coincidence.

I'm loving Amarillo.

I had two 3 gallon batches going on the stove so it was basically a full boil.

OG 1.057
FG 1.014
ABV 5.6%
Approx IBU 30.1

Extra Pale LME 3.3lb
Pale DME 1.4lb

Maris Otter Malt 4lb

Amarillo 1oz 60min
Amarillo 0.5oz 30min
Amarillo 0.5oz 5min
Amarillo 1oz 3 days Dry Hop

Washed Wyeast American Ale 1056

Mashed at 153 in 1.5 gallons of water

Whirlfloc and Yeast Energizer added 15 minutes. Cooled from 212 to 78 in 1/2 hour and pitched Washed yeast at that point.

Not a TRUE SMaSH but for us Partial mash people it's close.

Eh, who cares? ;)

Keep your base malt and brand of LME/DME constant, and play with different hops. SMaSH enough for me!

I'll be honest and I was not expecting something so simple to taste so good. Since the DME and LME are not Maris Otter I felt it was not a "true" Smash but geez. I hope it ages well.

Keep us informed on how this comes out! I have a pound of Amarillo in the freezer and I wanna do a SMaSH too.

I'm doing a warminster Maris otter smash in a few days and have been torn between Amarillo and Simcoe but think that I'm gonna go with Amarillo due to your results!!!! Thanks

Grinder - I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to let you know that I brewed this recipe and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Another resurrection of this old thread, but I brewed this up per instructions about 3 weeks ago and just tapped the keg. Delicious!

Excellent flavor and a good showcase for the single hop.

Mine has a bit too much residual sweetness, but I do not have great temp control on the mash and it did spend some time at the upper range.
Thanks for posting! I

1397164477452.jpg

Latest posts

Back