Willamette Valley Hops - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Willamette Valley Hops

Old 02-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Nov 2008
Memphis (Mud Island)

Willamette Valley Hops I just clicked on their ad, they seem like a reputable dealer anyone know anything about them? I was looking to try and grow a rhizome in my window like the guy in the last BYO magazine. I was actually thinking nugget (one of the ones they offer) since it seems to be pretty hardy. So, any advice on the company or my idea....?
Originally Posted by neuron555 View Post
Homebrewing combines the best of gourmet cooking, beer drinking and chemistry lab.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
Jun 2011
Newberg, OR
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know much about their hops but I just drove by one of their fields today on my way to the interstate (I live nearby) and they are *beautiful*! A very nice sight indeed

Old 07-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
May 2011
san diego, CA

Thats where i bought my rhizomes from, the nugget is the most hardy and vigorous of the trio. the Mt Hood is a close second the cascades started budding first.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Oct 2008
Americas Hinterland, Wisconsin
Liked 76 Times on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by BonnieJ View Post
I don't know much about their hops but I just drove by one of their fields today on my way to the interstate (I live nearby) and they are *beautiful*! A very nice sight indeed
Can you smell them. When I drive by some othe crops here in Wsiconsin I can smell them. Especially newly mown hay.
I drink therefore I am.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Jul 2011
Charlottesville, Virginia
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Thought I would resurrect this thread. Just stumbled upon this company tonight and ordered from them. I liked that they publish their nursery license. It speaks to their credibility. The shipping was very reasonable: only $2.99 to ship two rhizomes to Virginia.

Looks like they've grown considerably since 2008. I was looking at some other posts and they only offered one or two back then. Tonight I saw that they offered 9 varieties and even dried hops.

I'll report back upon receipt and at harvest. Happy gardening!
Originally Posted by mattlsull View Post
There are actually techniques that some use that are an open fermentation where they basically ferment in a bucket covered in aluminu, alumini, aluemin... tin foil.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
Sep 2011
Washington, DC
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've got 4 plants growing form Willamette Valley, excellent prices and so far the rhizomes are doing great.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 972 Times on 704 Posts

i ordered 2 rhizomes from WVH because they were the only ones selling Summit rhizomes at the time - a previously proprietary variety. turns out they might still be proprietary, they've since stopped selling them and swapped them out on orders that had been placed before the rule change/threatening letter/visit from the hops mafia/etc. check out the "summit rhizomes" thread for the details.

anyhoo, i had a really great experience ordering from WVH. the guy on the phone was ridiculously friendly and shared some good growing advice. he obviously loves his job. my rhizomes were a bit on the small side, but at least one has come up (i'm away from home at the moment so i don't have an update on the other, i'm sure it'll come up eventually). other folks who ordered got some real nice big fatties. good prices. i'd definitely order from them again.
What hops should I grow? Looking for cheap honey?
- Drinking: BPA made with ingredients from NHC, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...