Willamette Valley Hops - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Willamette Valley Hops

Old 02-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Korben
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Memphis (Mud Island)

Willamette Valley Hops I just clicked on their ad, they seem like a reputable dealer anyone know anything about them? I was looking to try and grow a rhizome in my window like the guy in the last BYO magazine. I was actually thinking nugget (one of the ones they offer) since it seems to be pretty hardy. So, any advice on the company or my idea....?

Old 07-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
BonnieJ
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Newberg, OR
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know much about their hops but I just drove by one of their fields today on my way to the interstate (I live nearby) and they are *beautiful*! A very nice sight indeed

Old 07-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
RustyMusket
Recipes 

May 2011
san diego, CA

Thats where i bought my rhizomes from, the nugget is the most hardy and vigorous of the trio. the Mt Hood is a close second the cascades started budding first.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Americas Hinterland, Wisconsin
Liked 78 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieJ View Post
I don't know much about their hops but I just drove by one of their fields today on my way to the interstate (I live nearby) and they are *beautiful*! A very nice sight indeed
Can you smell them. When I drive by some othe crops here in Wsiconsin I can smell them. Especially newly mown hay.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Aunt_Ester
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Charlottesville, Virginia
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Thought I would resurrect this thread. Just stumbled upon this company tonight and ordered from them. I liked that they publish their nursery license. It speaks to their credibility. The shipping was very reasonable: only $2.99 to ship two rhizomes to Virginia.

Looks like they've grown considerably since 2008. I was looking at some other posts and they only offered one or two back then. Tonight I saw that they offered 9 varieties and even dried hops.

I'll report back upon receipt and at harvest. Happy gardening!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
strumke
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Washington, DC
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've got 4 plants growing form Willamette Valley, excellent prices and so far the rhizomes are doing great.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 981 Times on 710 Posts

i ordered 2 rhizomes from WVH because they were the only ones selling Summit rhizomes at the time - a previously proprietary variety. turns out they might still be proprietary, they've since stopped selling them and swapped them out on orders that had been placed before the rule change/threatening letter/visit from the hops mafia/etc. check out the "summit rhizomes" thread for the details.

anyhoo, i had a really great experience ordering from WVH. the guy on the phone was ridiculously friendly and shared some good growing advice. he obviously loves his job. my rhizomes were a bit on the small side, but at least one has come up (i'm away from home at the moment so i don't have an update on the other, i'm sure it'll come up eventually). other folks who ordered got some real nice big fatties. good prices. i'd definitely order from them again.
- Drinking: BPA made with ingredients from NHC, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...