Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Willamette Valley Hops

Old 02-23-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Korben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Willamette Valley Hops

Willamette Valley Hops I just clicked on their ad, they seem like a reputable dealer anyone know anything about them? I was looking to try and grow a rhizome in my window like the guy in the last BYO magazine. I was actually thinking nugget (one of the ones they offer) since it seems to be pretty hardy. So, any advice on the company or my idea....?

Old 07-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
BonnieJ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I don't know much about their hops but I just drove by one of their fields today on my way to the interstate (I live nearby) and they are *beautiful*! A very nice sight indeed

Old 07-29-2011, 12:26 AM   #3
RustyMusket
Recipes 

Thats where i bought my rhizomes from, the nugget is the most hardy and vigorous of the trio. the Mt Hood is a close second the cascades started budding first.

Old 07-31-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieJ View Post
I don't know much about their hops but I just drove by one of their fields today on my way to the interstate (I live nearby) and they are *beautiful*! A very nice sight indeed
Can you smell them. When I drive by some othe crops here in Wsiconsin I can smell them. Especially newly mown hay.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
Aunt_Ester
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Thought I would resurrect this thread. Just stumbled upon this company tonight and ordered from them. I liked that they publish their nursery license. It speaks to their credibility. The shipping was very reasonable: only $2.99 to ship two rhizomes to Virginia.

Looks like they've grown considerably since 2008. I was looking at some other posts and they only offered one or two back then. Tonight I saw that they offered 9 varieties and even dried hops.

I'll report back upon receipt and at harvest. Happy gardening!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
strumke
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got 4 plants growing form Willamette Valley, excellent prices and so far the rhizomes are doing great.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 821 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 329

i ordered 2 rhizomes from WVH because they were the only ones selling Summit rhizomes at the time - a previously proprietary variety. turns out they might still be proprietary, they've since stopped selling them and swapped them out on orders that had been placed before the rule change/threatening letter/visit from the hops mafia/etc. check out the "summit rhizomes" thread for the details.

anyhoo, i had a really great experience ordering from WVH. the guy on the phone was ridiculously friendly and shared some good growing advice. he obviously loves his job. my rhizomes were a bit on the small side, but at least one has come up (i'm away from home at the moment so i don't have an update on the other, i'm sure it'll come up eventually). other folks who ordered got some real nice big fatties. good prices. i'd definitely order from them again.

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Fermenting: IPA w/ HBC-438 (thanks vinnie!), 2x saison w/ 3726, Ardennes BDSA
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...