Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > What is the smell at the start of fermentation?

Old 02-23-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
Pronay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is the smell at the start of fermentation?

Hi, I'm making a tinned Strawberry wine, I was just wondering what the funky smell is that often occurs, sort of like eggs. I've made a few similar wines and the smell has always cleared, but I'm just wondering what causes it

Old 02-23-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Snuffalupagus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronay View Post
Hi, I'm making a tinned Strawberry wine, I was just wondering what the funky smell is that often occurs, sort of like eggs. I've made a few similar wines and the smell has always cleared, but I'm just wondering what causes it

that is the ever popular "rhino farts" - that would be sulphur - it's normal by product of fermentation with certain fruits and yeast strains - adding yeast nutrient to some yeast/must combos will somtimes keep it in check (evidently montrachet and applejuice is notorious for it) - though I've never experienced it, as i use nutrients - a lighter than advised amount to be sure, but it still goes in - on every batch
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone