Clamstalk Rye Stout
1/2 lb Flaked Rye
1/2 lb 60L Crystal
1/2 lb 120L Crystal
1/2 lb Chocolate
1/2 lb Roasted Barley
3.3 lbs Munton's Dark Malt Extract Syrup
3 lbs Munt's Amber Dry Malt Extract
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup molasses
1 oz Chinook AA: 13%
1 oz Liberty AA: 4.4 %
(see below for schedule)
- Steeped grains in 3 quarts at 160F; drained liquid into brewpot.
- Sparge with 2 quarts at 170F, collect liquid in brewpot.
- Add water up 3 gallons, turned on heat.
- Added, in order:
- Muntons Syrup Dark Malt Extract (3.3 lbs)
- Muntons Dry Amber Malt Extract (3 lbs)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- Bring to a boil.
-Wort foamed up once, removed heat and foam subsided. Brought back to a boil.
- Added hops according to following schedule
I did not use any hops bags and I allowed the hops to to stay in the primary.
- 3/4 oz Chinook at start (60 minutes boiling)
- 1/2 oz Liberty at 30 minutes (30 minutes boiling)
- 1/2 oz Liberty at 45 minutes (15 minutes boiling)
- 1/4 oz Chinook at 58 minutes (2 minutes boiling)
- Once I turned off the heat, I transfered the brewpot to my kitchen sink and sprayed the outside with cold water until the temperature was around 100 (spraying the brewpot worked even faster than a cold bath).
- I put 2 gallons of cold water in the primary, then poured the wort into the primary, then added cool water up to just over 5 gallons.
- Pitched yeast at 70 degrees.
There was action within a few hours; by the next day, the fermentation was vigorous, to say the least. I rigged up a blow-off tube after the bubbler airlock proved insufficient.
Since it was a quick job that I rigged, the tube I had was slightly too small to be tight in the and it allowed foam to come out around the tube; I cleaned away the foam periodically with sanitized water and kept the area clean until I could set up something better.
I was worried about infection, but I guess the positive pressure from the yeast off-gassing and the cleaning were good enough; next time, I'll be more prepared.
The moral: if you make a stout, use a blow-off tube because otherwise, it can get messy.
I kept this guy in the primary for 8 days, then moved to a glass carboy for another 20 days.
This is the first recipe I've made up entirely; I bottled two days ago, so I'm still waiting to see what the end-product is like; I did have a little of the uncarbonated beer and it was certainly promising - kind of a dry spicy taste with an interesting balance between the citrusy hops and the chewiness of the malt. I can't wait to see how the end product turns out!