Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Advice on Heating Fermenter

Old 02-22-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
dboblitt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Advice on Heating Fermenter

So I am looking at brewing a series of Belgians and I think I need to get my fermentation temperature under control prior to really getting them right. I was thinking of building something similar to the son fermentation chiller with a heating unit but I thought I would see if anyone has done anything similar. Thanks for any advice.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
steelerguy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboblitt View Post
So I am looking at brewing a series of Belgians and I think I need to get my fermentation temperature under control prior to really getting them right. I was thinking of building something similar to the son fermentation chiller with a heating unit but I thought I would see if anyone has done anything similar. Thanks for any advice.
I built a son of fermentation chiller to keep the beer fermenting cool in the summer. In the winter I use it for it's insulation properties and hook a Fermwrap heater up to my temp controller. Works like a charm, holds the beer at whatever temp I want within a degree.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
HomebrewJeff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a cheap heating pad taped to the carboy and just set it in a closet in the basement. Works perfect. I have it controlled by a thermostat and it holds the temps +/- .5F, which is just perfect for me.

If you go the heating pad route, make sure you don't get the digital ones without the auto shutoff.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
dboblitt
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was hoping to use a normal thermostat from Home Depot but I was not sure if it would hold temperature accuratly enough.