Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > B3 conical to 1/6 sanke?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
mandoman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default B3 conical to 1/6 sanke?

If one had a b3 or similar 20 gallon conical how would one go about filling 4 1/6 bbl sanke kegs (not cornies)? I have seen the thread on HBT about removing the check valves in a standard sanke tap but is there a standard 'filler' sanke valve or something?

Similarly, how would one then carbonate these sankes - similar to a manifold/co2 tank set up?

Last, how about cleaning?

I'm interested in sankes over cornies just to see. It's so easy to do cornies cuz you can open the top

Old 02-23-2009, 04:28 AM   #2
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 859 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It's pretty easy to open a sanke once you have done it a few times. Cleaning a sanke is about the same as cleaning a carboy. Carbing a sanke is exactly like carbing a corny keg. They work very well once you learn the simple nuances like pulling and reinstalling the stem. I'm sure you could devise a method to clean in place and fill w/out removing the stem like the big boys, but I think most homebrew guys just remove the stem, clean and refill.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:09 AM   #3
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You can fill them by their (kegs) weight if you have a accurate enough floor scale. BeerSmith has a calculator on it and I it worked for me. It took a bit of tinkering to set everything right with water first but it works good enough for my 2+ 1/6 bbl kegs from my primary. It is easy to remove the check valves in Sanke taps and they work great for transfers.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"