Big Beer - 2.5 Gal batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kornbread

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Chocolate Imperial Stout later this week. It's a pretty big beer (OG: 1.100) and I'll be using White Labs WLP007. I've decided to make a half batch (2.5 Gals.) since 5 gals would be very expensive.

My original plan was to use my Mr. Beer fermenter. Then I got to thinking that this big beer, along with a nice starter, could be very active. (Messy...) And I'm not sure it would be very practical to try and rig up a blow off tube for the Mr. Beer barrel.

I thought about going with an ale pail. But, with only 2.5 gallons, I'm concerned about too much head space.

So, here's what I'm now thinking: How about a few days in a bucket then rack to the Mr. Beer keg after things begin to slow down a little?

I've heard it's not a good Idea to move a beer while it's still actively fermenting. But, I'm afraid that if I just go with the bucket that oxygenation might be a problem.

FYI: I'm planning on bottling these and conditioning some of them for a pretty good while.

I have a 2.5 gal; 1.100; half way to an IIPA brew going right now in a 5 gal fermenter. When fermentation starts oxygen is at least pushed of the surface of your tasty brew. At this point it is not logical to think about oxidation, CO2 is heavier and blankets the brew. So relax, and drink a home brew if you have one and remember a high ABV beer will appreciate over time let it chill like Cheech. Leave it in the 5 g "ale pail"

I have a 2.5 gal; 1.100; half way to an IIPA brew going right now in a 5 gal fermenter. When fermentation starts oxygen is at least pushed of the surface of your tasty brew. At this point it is not logical to think about oxidation, CO2 is heavier and blankets the brew. So relax, and drink a home brew if you have one and remember a high ABV beer will appreciate over time let it chill like Cheech. Leave it in the 5 g "ale pail"

Ditto, it will be fine, we've brewed numerous times in 18gallon fermentor with only 8-10 gallons without issue, as long as your ferment starts you'll be fine, especially with big beers. If you secondary it you might want something tighter (Less headspace) though.

I do 6 gal batches alot to split into 2 3gal batches to try different yeasts or add fruit or coffee to one or the other. I use 5 gal carboys for primary and 3gal carboys for secondary. Maybe do 3 gal batch so you dont have headspace in secondary?

I recently did a Belgian strong 2.5 gallon batch, and for the same reason as you I elected to use my 5 gallon carboy rather than any of my normal small batch fermenters...It worked fine.

Bakeries get lots of stuff in 3.5 gallon food grade buckets. Most of them are made by the same people who make Ale Pails so those lids fit. Just sayin.... with one of those, no need to move anything.

Back