Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Yeast Change'up-

Old 02-22-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
oguss0311
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Yeast Change'up-

So I was making an IPA today that was close to what I often do. Today I mashed
10lb pale
2lb Ashburn Mild
1lb of Vienna
.5 Lager Malt
(those last two were just leftovers, and I was feeling creative)
I did 1oz of Northern Brewer at 60min, and 1oz Cascade of 5min.
And I plan on doing 1oz of ____(T.B.A) for a Dryhop. (I collected 8gal of wort and boiled down to a little over 6- because my new keggle has so much more surface area than my old kettle- that my last two batches gave me like 4.5gal in the kegs.). I got an OG of 1.060 at 60.2F. After blasting the wort with oxygen, I pitched in my Safale US-05 (Awesome for American IPA's and beats liquid yeast prices!).
It's not really taking off like it typically does- and I was like "what if I have to pitch more yeast....The LHBS does not carry Safale- I'd have to go with Whitelabs....."
(We all know that this yeast will be going nuts in the morning- so this is really a "what if" scenario)
I was thinking of turning this thing into a Lager! I'd not longer dry hop it (And lager it instead, or course)- but....
What do you all think? I bet this grain bill would taste quite decent with like- German Lager yeast or something like that.....
Hell, at this point- I almost wish the pitched yeast Would really punk out on me.
What do you all think? What would you want to throw into that wort?

Old 02-22-2009, 02:44 AM   #2
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i would throw in a good night's sleep.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 02-22-2009, 03:20 AM   #3
john from dc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

i'd guess that either a lager or an ale yeast would make a fine beer out of that recipe.

but not both. i think pitching two yeasts with vastly different temperature ranges is pretty much asking for off flavors. of course i could be wrong.

i'll second a good night's sleep.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwaterbrewer View Post
Right, of course. Because in reality that's just what I did. I was having fun with potential yeasts that could have been- I thought the point of the game was clear......

Old 02-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #5
QueenCityALER
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwaterbrewer View Post

+1. It'll be fine. This time. I keep a library of dried yeasts in my fridge for times like this. They're cheap, so there's no excuse not to have them on hand. I usually use liquid, but always have dry yeast on hand. Also, I agree that US-05 and other dry yeasts are great for making "regular ol'" beer! I always use liquid for my "signature" ales or clones. Dry yeast has come a long way, and is a good path to savings for the aforementioned type of brews. But, for making swill, dried is the way for the cost savings!

Hell or High water Brewery

All Brews: ALL GRAIN ALL THE TIME!