Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > secondary for cider?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default secondary for cider?

ok before I start, i have searched the forum many hours, so I have done the leg work. I will be doing 3 gallons of cider (3 1gal jugs so I can add passion tea to one, bangle spice to one, and keep one pure) my question is about secondary fermentation.
1. is it necessary?
2. Do I wait till its gravity stays the same like beer?
3. how long in the secondary?
4. is tea a good idea to add at the beginning, or in the secondary?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant stop buying supplies! It's a sickness!!!! First the beginner supplies, then some upgrades, then a fermentation chamber, and now all grain! When will it stop?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:44 PM   #2

I can't help ya with the tea question, never heard of it before.

But there is no need for a secondary for regular cider. It should ferment till it reachers 1.000, if you use a champagne yeast I think it will go till about 0.998

I let my cider sit for 2 months at 65F, till it gets crystal clear.

I would try adding the tea at the beginning, since it's not a fermentable sugar it's not going to go away.

Beer prices in Ontario Canada
24 Bottles for $28.89..........That's the DISCOUNT brand!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

But even though it is not fermentable sugars, the tea's color and aroma may be scrubbed out by the co2 of a strong fermentation. I am only pointing this out to say that there are benefits to adding flavoring to both primary and secondary, and both will lead to different flavor profiles.
Meads: Hababero and Sarrano Capiscumel, Show Mead possibly getting split and flavored, and 12 gallons of Bochet Deliciousness
Ciders:3 Ciders with differing additives TBD, Strawberry/Apple Cider
Wine: Black Cherry Vanilla Port
Old 02-22-2009, 02:36 AM   #4

Following the advice on here regarding not xsfering to 2ndary for cider...

I bottled one 5 gal batch after 2-3 weeks in primary and added 5 more gallons of the same musselmen's apple cider into the fermenter with yeast residue and let it go 3-4 months. (just store bought cider and dry beer yeast)

The 1st 5 gallons was awesome...crisp and clean. The 2nd 5 gallons, which I just kegged this week, tastes the same initially, but has an off flavor/after taste. Why? I don't know if it was the residue or the extended time.

So, to be on the safe side, next time I'll transfer to a fresh container after 1-2 weeks to start aging.