This is pretty sketchy but... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > This is pretty sketchy but...

Old 02-21-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
WriterWriter
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Portland, OR
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey all,

I've been trying to get a lazy friend into brewing for a while now. Over the course of a conversation I suggested to him that, yes, technically he could probably just dump a bit of wine yeast into a jug of Tree Top and he'd make cider....but then he got annoyed with the idea of getting 'complicated equipment', ie: an airlock....oh well.

But as a joke (or maybe not) what would happen if you were to take a jug of Tree Top, pitch in the wine yeast, then cover the top with aluminum foil? Would you actually get something drinkable out of that?

(FYI: I explained that this was almost getting to the 'prison level' of brewing which made for a good chuckle.)

-WW

Old 02-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
enderwig

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Dickinson Texas
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Alot of people use foil or a towel for primary fermentation on wines and ciders.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

May 2008
Hawaii
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Balloon, tin foil, etc, anything that keeps airborne yeast, bacteria, spores etc from dropping in while letting CO2 escape works and has been used quite often.
I think your lazy friend would be much happier just drinking your stuff and not having to buy anything.
I know I would be.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:31 AM   #4
kgutwin
Recipes 

Feb 2009

I did just that a couple of weeks ago, except I used bread yeast we had lying around, and a balloon over the mouth of the jug. It's getting close to finishing, and it already tastes pretty good a little bready but that's fine. I was just looking for a "proof of concept" before I invested in the equipment (meaning airlock and ale yeast). Tell your friend to give it a try, it will probably turn out better than he expects!

Old 02-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

A lot of guys I know started off doing small batches with a balloon as an airlock. I don't know why it's such a huge deal to spend $5 on a bung and airlock but...

Get him to buy a bottle of Treetop, open it and pitch some Montrachet, cover with a balloon and poke a hole in the balloon with a pin. Kind of ghetto but maybe it'll get him hooked.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

latex gloves work well too... BONUS: tape the thumb, index and last two fingers down - and your Yeastie Beasties can give you the bird for being too cheap to buy a a bung and an airlock...
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 02-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
nealf

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Hiram, GA
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I started using aluminum foil instead of airlocks. This reduces the pressure inside the fermenter which, from what I understand, the yeast appreciate.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:10 AM   #8
WriterWriter
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Portland, OR
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK I'm going to give it a shot. I picked up some juice today, but still have a few questions.

1. I have a few Cooper's yeast packs kicking around. What would be the effect of using them instead of the champagne yeast? If it's risking making a mess then I'll just wait to get down to the LHBS.

2. When using foil to seal the opening, do you just wrap a piece of sanitized foil over the top and then secure with an elastic band? Is it a very tight wrap?

3. The apple juice is pretty close to the top of the jug. Do you need to dump a bit out first to avoid spillover?

Thanks,
WW

Old 02-23-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
ScottyT
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah

The juice itself is the most expensive part!

Montrachet wine yeast is only $1. Hit Ed Wort's Apelwein recipe for the cheapest good stuff around.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:26 AM   #10
WriterWriter
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Portland, OR
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yah, it's not the money it's that I have the juice, foil, sanitizer, and the Cooper's yeast right in front of me and I want to make it NOW!

But...I'll wait <kicks sofa>, I guess.