BrewVint yeast fuel capsule? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > BrewVint yeast fuel capsule?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Q2XL
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Eastpointe, Michigan
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am going to brew my first batch in many years on Saturday. I am brewing a Bass ale clone form AHB. The kit came with a BrewVint capsule and it says that I should add it to the wort in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

I have a yeast starter going now. Do I need the capsule since I am doing a starter and is it a big benefit if I wouldn't be using starter?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Grand Ledge, Mich
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

It wont hurt anything but to be honest when I bought one of those things, I didn't see it make any difference with lagging or fermentation.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 02-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
aubrey
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Acworth, Ga
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I use em. Haven't made a brew without it so I can't really speak to weather or not its worth it, but it doesn't hurt. I've heard good things about them from others on here. I usually pull the capsule apart myself and dump in the powder just because I don't like the capsule melting in there. The capsule won't hurt anything, but I just feel better about it if I dump it myself. *shrug*
Secondary: Bavarian Hefewizen (extract)
Bottle: Blue Moon clone, Sam Adams Boston Ale Clone, Christmas Chocolate Stout (All Grain)
Keg: AHS West Coast Pale Ale, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde (All Grain)

Old 02-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Liked 197 Times on 155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubrey View Post
I use em. Haven't made a brew without it so I can't really speak to weather or not its worth it, but it doesn't hurt. I've heard good things about them from others on here. I usually pull the capsule apart myself and dump in the powder just because I don't like the capsule melting in there. The capsule won't hurt anything, but I just feel better about it if I dump it myself. *shrug*
That's EXACTLY what I do!

Old 02-20-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
MacBruver
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Orange County, CA
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If it's a regular medicine / vitamin capsule, those are made of gelatin. No danger from that, and if anything it could actually act as a clarifier... but realistically it's a very small amount of gelatin.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
dzlater
Recipes 

Apr 2008
New Jersey
Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts

I did a batch using one of these and it seemed to help with the ferment.
The bucket lid was bulging up never saw that before.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
TexasSpartan
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Dallas, TX
Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubrey View Post
That's what I do as well. I've only made 3 batches and all of them have had the BrewVint fuel. I have no idea what kind of difference it would make. But, I can't imagine its going to hurt anything using it.