How do you make wine with various fruits? Newbie needs help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red79phoenix

Reaction score
I am going to take various fruit scraps such as, honeydew, pineapple, etc., and I will be making a wine out of them, to then later distill for fuel and not consumption. My question is if I have various fruits, what would be my first step? Should I boil the sugars out? Should I blend the fruits into a smoothie?
I guess I should start by doing a lot of reading, so does anyone have a wine making basics thread some where?

You need to find a sit dedicated to fuel instead of to beverages. There are huge differences between the two goals.

However you will need to either mash or juice the fruits before fermenting to allow the yeasts to get to the sugar.

Most fruits do not have a high concentration of sugar so they do not make a good fuel source. You will probably end up using more energy to distill the wine than you will get out of it. To distill fuel efficiently you need to get your fermented beverage to around 20% ABV. A low alcohol fruit wine (typically 5-10%) will require much more heat to distill.

Look a using grain, sugar, sugar cane, sugar beets or other feed stocks with a higher available sugar content.

Craig

Back