Never buy a frontloading washing machine - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Never buy a frontloading washing machine

Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 AM   #11
GroovePuppy

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Windsor, CA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Have a Kenmore front loader now, had it for 7+ years. Every house in the UK pretty much has a front loader.

The one we had in the UK was over 12 years old when we moved and was still going strong after a couple of motor brush replacements.

+1000 on front loaders being superior!

Yet Another Keezer Build

Old 02-19-2009, 02:49 AM   #12
Bullbythehorns

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Lake of the Ozarks, MO
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I can't say anything about the longevity yet, but I do know our electric bill went down by 25% right after we bought our front loader. It uses less water, but the main savings comes from the electric dryer running only half as long because the clothes have less water to dry out because of the faster spinning action.
ON TAP: Dry Irish Stout, Epic Pale Ale Clone, BM's Cent Blonde, Blackfoot River IPA, Racer 5 IPA clone with homegrown hops, Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Threee Floyd's Gumball head clone, Moose Drools Clone
ON DECK: Saison, Pliny the Elder clone

Old 02-19-2009, 04:12 AM   #13
k1v1116
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I agree that the front loaders are more efficient, but looking at the way the weight is balanced and distributed top loaders are likely to last longer all other thing being equal.

Aside from the pulleys being used for motorizing my grain mill I've been thinking that the stainless drum will make an excellent compost tumbler, it will mix and oxygenate compost nicely, I would like to use it for brewing but I can't think of any brewing uses for it.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:17 AM   #14
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I have a whirlpool Duet- 2thingsgondbad. One the front boot wore a hole in it and poured water everywhere

Then one of the front Shocks broke the mount point off. I duct taped the **** out of it and havent had an issue since. But still for 1100$ I should NEVER have an Issue
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 02-19-2009, 05:22 AM   #15
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
the sun
Liked 329 Times on 325 Posts

We have recently purchased Samsung front loading washer and dryer and have been great so far. no complaints, really quite and fast, not really sure if I will be able to see the cost savings on the electric bill though.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:34 AM   #16
jds

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Littleton, CO
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

I'm on my second front-loader in ten years. The first is going strong in our rental house.

The first one is a Whirlpool Neptune, which has had a few problems, such as a well-known problem with the main control board. The second is an LG front-loader that is just great (although only 18 months old).

Old 02-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #17
jay672
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Midvale, Utah

We bought the LG about 5 months ago its great and the 5 year extended Home Depot warranty for 99 bucks leaves me with at least some piece of mind

Old 02-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #18
Pete08
Recipes 

Jul 2008
SW Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We have an Amana washer, dryer, and refrigerator. We bought each new when we moved into our house. Some time after installation, but within warranty period, the washer made horrible noises. SWMBO called the dealer; some joker told her that most likely the transmission was ill and would need replacing, which wouldn't cost us, BUT, he would most likely destroy the pump in the process and that WOULD cost us. Well, needless to say, his manager didn't think it necessary to ruin the pump to replace the tranny. Makes me wonder how many people get taken on that??

Enola Gay--Far East Tour Summer '45--Coming to Your Town, Limited Engagement--Get Your Seats Now!!--They'll Be Gone in a Flash!!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:01 PM   #19
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Jan 2005
Chester, VA
Liked 18 Times on 8 Posts

Speedqueen.

We replaced our Kenmore washer with a Speedqueen after the Kenmore gave us only five years run time (maybe three loads a week). Speedqueens are commercial grade washers with all metal gears/parts (no plastic).

They aren't 'pretty,' but they work (and hopefully last).

EDIT: It's a top loader.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #20
CBBaron

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Cleveland
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Kenmore does not make appliances, they just rebrand others. Our Kenmore washer and dry is the Whirlpool Duet with a couple functions removed. We have had it for 6 years without and problems. I will however keep an eye on it for the problem described here. That does seem to be a very highly stressed bearing. It is no wonder these are more expensive than the traditional top loaders.

Craig