Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Trying to make Smirnoff Ice (or similar) - after 10 days not so yummy?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
dna_alexov
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Trying to make Smirnoff Ice (or similar) - after 10 days not so yummy?

I'm new to the homebrew thing. Recently got my 4 tap beer tower all plumbed to my four cornies - now I need to fill them with some good stuff.

I've now made a total of two beer batches - one was done about 3 weeks ago and is not bad at all - the other is still in the primary and will be ready soon.

I thought I would fill one corny with a Smirnoff Ice type drink. I did some searching on this forum and found a few interesting recipes. Below is the recipe that I started on Feb7 (w OG 1064) and just transfered to carboy yesterday at 1012. I tried a sip during the transfer and it really did not taste very good. It is hard to describe, but just not nearly sweet enough and does not taste like lemons, cranberry or anything - rather it is kind of sour.

Can you guys look at my recipe and let me know if anything looks odd, and whether it is normal for the stuff to taste bad after only 10 days? Perhaps I should add a ton more sugar or lemonade or cranberry??? Let me know.

RECIPE:

1) boiled (more like steamed) 4 litres of water with 3 lbs of liquid malt extract with 2 lbs of dextrose and three camdon tabs and mixed well until lite boil (until everything was dissolved)

2) in primary I then added 3 cans of frozen lemonade, 1 can of frozen pink lemonade and 3 cans of frozen cranberry (all with no preservatives) and then added my boiled extract (noted above) plus water to fill primary to 18 litres.

3) I then sprinkled champagne yeast on top, covered and left alone for 9 days (OG was 1064)

4) after 9 days (FG at 1012), I transferred to carboy (ensuring not to transfer the guck on the bottom of the primary), then added 3 tsp of potassium sorbate (apparently this kills the yeast), and then added one more can of frozen lemonade, one can of frozen cranberry and 2/3 cups of dextrose (ensured it was all welll stirred)

The formula I found suggested that I could have added more malt extract for flavour, but I did not. So based on my recipe above, it is unnormal for the stuff to taste bad?? I hope to have it ready by monthend for a party I'm hosting - do you think it will taste OK in the next 12 days? Is there anything that I should add to it to make it taste more like a smirny?

Thanks

Old 02-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 30

From what little I know of Smirnoff ice it has nothing to do with beer.
If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will rectify.
It's an alchopop.
The way this is generally brewed is a high ABV sugar brew which is then watered down and flavour is added.
They say it's vodka flavoured but I doubt if any distillation takes place.
It'd be pointless to distill to remove water then add it back.

It's basically Hooch so beware the trolls.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Odd, I don't know much about it either, but I swear they're all called "malted beverage" meaning malts are used in their creation. Other than that, though I don't know how to make them, nor am I fond of them, sorry I'm not much help.
Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 02-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfy View Post
From what little I know of Smirnoff ice it has nothing to do with beer.
If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will rectify.
It's an alchopop.
The way this is generally brewed is a high ABV sugar brew which is then watered down and flavour is added.
They say it's vodka flavoured but I doubt if any distillation takes place.
It'd be pointless to distill to remove water then add it back.

It's basically Hooch so beware the trolls.

In most of Europe, it's derived from spirits (i.e. they mix vodka into some unfermented base drink). In the U.S., it's a malt-based beverage because of tax laws.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
Hegh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Yes, in the US it's malt based due to beer/wine/liquor being taxed at different levels (and, depending on what state you're in, where they can be sold).

Basically, they brew a really light beer, and then filter it to strip out all flavor and color, leaving only alcoholic water (but since the alcohol came from malt...)

Then they add in sugar & flavoring.

You're not likely to be able to produce anything similar using homebrew techniques. You'd be better off mixing vodka with enough water/soda and juice to reach the same alcohol and flavor.

Sweeten with a simple syrup if necessary (boil 1 cup of water with 1 cup of sugar until it's all dissolved, then cool; it'll mix into any liquid much more easily than granulated sugar).

Primary: Summer RyePA
Tertiary: Strawberry Blond
On Tap: NB's Oatmeal Stout, Eagle Mills Hard Cider, Hefeweizen, Black Lager, Warsteiner Dunkel Clone

"Bravery is not a function of fire power." ~J.C. Denton

Old 02-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
SeamusMac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You could try making a 7% ABV wash (alcohol-base) with something like Still Spirits Turbo Yeast if it's legal where you live. After clearing it with a two-part fining agent and filtering it with distiller's carbon you're supposed to end up with a very weak tasting vodka solution. Then just add your sweeteners.

I haven't tried it though, and in the states vodka is probably cheap enough that it would be cost-prohibitive to try it haha! Here a 750ml bottle of Smirnoff is over $20US so you can see why it came to mind...

Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

I think that after the several posts of flames, we actually settled down and came up with a recipe for Zima on here....the way I figure if you are serious, you could start here, and add a bit more flavor..

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/who-...highlight=zima

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I am going to try to make something using the Sake Method and then adding Flavoring to it.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 02-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Probrewer also has some info..

Brewing a..."Malternative" Beverage. - ProBrewer Interactive

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
jonp9576
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

how bout those iced tea drinks? are they fermented tea or is that a vodka and flavoring drink?

"Just remember that the real enemy here are those wine drinking pussies."-BierMuncher