Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Best beginner kegging system for around $200.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:58 PM   #11
lowlife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

craigslist is your friend. I got a 5 lb steel tank and a crappy regulator for 25 dollars. The regulator works but is old and oxidized. It took a couple weeks of looking though. Throw out an ad in the wanted section or a trade ad. I just hooked a new taprite dual guage for a 160 gig hard drive and old x300 video card today on craigslist.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlife View Post
craigslist is your friend. I got a 5 lb steel tank and a crappy regulator for 25 dollars. The regulator works but is old and oxidized. It took a couple weeks of looking though. Throw out an ad in the wanted section or a trade ad. I just hooked a new taprite dual guage for a 160 gig hard drive and old x300 video card today on craigslist.
Craigslist IS killer, I found quite a few killer steals on there...here's one:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/craigslist-haul-90085/

However!!! If you are paying decent $$$ for a CO2 tank make SURE that it does not have any CocaCola, PepsiCo, or any other soda distributor stickers or stamps on it. It took me months to get rid of my 20# tank because the former owner had sold me a technically "stolen" piece of property. By law, places that do CO2 swaps and fills are not allowed to even touch those tanks as they are property of another company.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 02-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #13
MoRoToRiUm
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
However!!! If you are paying decent $$$ for a CO2 tank make SURE that it does not have any CocaCola, PepsiCo, or any other soda distributor stickers or stamps on it. It took me months to get rid of my 20# tank because the former owner had sold me a technically "stolen" piece of property.
I know the ethics, and I'm not going to get into it- but you were legally buying ownership of it from him, assuming he owned it (bad on his part); Stickers are easy to remove. Just saying....

Old 02-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRoToRiUm View Post
I know the ethics, and I'm not going to get into it- but you were legally buying ownership of it from him, assuming he owned it (bad on his part); Stickers are easy to remove. Just saying....
I can't buy ownership of something that doesn't belong to him. And FWIW, the tank he just threw in there because nobody would fill it. And I did in fact sand the sticker off...at the welding shop's suggestion. They said, "If I don't see a coke or pepsi sticker on it, there is no way for me to know WHO it came from, know what i mean?".

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #15
fishnfever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal40 View Post
kegconnection.com

+1 on keg connection. I bought that same set up from midwest and with in two months I was on the phone with kegconnection for a better regulator. Went threw two of the Midwest in two months (leaks and just getting ones with broken gages). Since dealing with kegconnection I have never looked back (almost a year with NO problems).

Just my 0.02

Old 02-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
TeufelBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I got the 3 tap system from Midwest and have had no problems at all. I would suggest getting a gauge cage to go with it. Bolts together on the gauges and if the tank falls, the gauges are protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
You're all wrong. Apfelwein is a time machine and mind eraser combined into one.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #17
Jmac
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Guys,

Thanks for all of the suggestions... I have to be on a budget to keep the wife happy and to keep brewing.. My 30th is coming up so she is OK with me spending a little extra on my hobby.

I did look at the kegconnection.com 2 keg setup that has been suggested to me but was leaning toward the Midwest setup due to the regulator... being able to serve and force carb at the same time..

Maybe I should go ahead and get the door mount instead of the party style tap.. I do have a old fridge I will be replacing and putting in the garage for this setup.

How does 2 keg setup work with the kegconnection.com setup.. I notice it has some type of "manifold" to control flow to both kegs... You cant get 2 different pressure settings on the kegs can you? Might need this as I told the wife I could make soda..lol

Also, I am really looking for a kit.. A one time purchase to get all I need to be up and kegging except for the temp controller/thermostat.. Every time I try to piece it together it ends up costing me more and turns into a pain in the arse.

Any preference on those? Ranco vs Johnson Controls... I read you don't have to wire anything up with the Johnson Controls thermostat.. I am a computer geek not a electrician.. so that is a good thing for me. Electricity Kills!!!....

Old 02-19-2009, 01:58 AM   #18
Jmac
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Also, How important is it for you to be able to force carb and serve through the same regulator at the same time...

This is one of reasons why I was leaning towards the Midwest 2 keg kit.. but if the regulator is not that good I don't want to do it...

I would rather buy the basics once and not have any issues.. then add extra parts later if need be...

I have emailed Kegconnection.com to see if their dual regulator add-on to the 2 keg setup is actually the Taprite regulator.

Will have to wait for reply..

Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 AM   #19
Vtbrew
Recipes 

I have the Midwest dual reg set up and it has worked fine for me.

Primary:
Secondary:Hoppy birthday IPA
Bottled: Scottish 80/-AB Clone
Keg: Marzen, Pale ale
Up next: Amber ale, Wheat

Old 02-19-2009, 06:39 AM   #20
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

I understand the concern with the dual pressure regulator. It is indeed great to be able to carb and serve at the same time. I wonder if you could talk with Midwest and get them to lower the price by leaving the CO2 tank out. As mentioned before, you'd be exchanging your brand new tank out for a used steel one anyways. If you can get them to lower the price for the kit and exclude the tank, I'd go that route. With a dual pressure regulator, you would in effect have a two-way manifold built in. As far as the temp controller goes, if you're going to use a fridge, you don't need one. I just set my fridge at the lowest possible temp and that gets me about 37F which is perfect. If you are going to use a freezer for your kegerator setup, I would go for the analog Johnson control. It's a pretty bulletproof unit and is the cheapest you will find; about 50-60 bucks (mine was $56 at the LHBS). Good luck with your setup!

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff