Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Clarification pls: time in secondary vs. dry hopping

Old 02-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
zippyslug31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Clarification pls: time in secondary vs. dry hopping

I've read some that say:
"leave that puppy in the secondary for a few weeks so it can condition and generally finish up"

-AND-

"don't dry hop for much longer than 5 or 7 days else you'll end up with a veggie taste".

Are these comments really talking about two different functions?
In other words, should I rack to secondary, wait say 2 weeks, and THEN dump my hops in for dry hopping and leave it a few more days to do that, and then bottle/keg?
Seems if I did this then my beer would become less clear when I am adding the hops.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1247 Times on 856 Posts
Likes Given: 2399

You've got it right. For example, I racked an IPA to secondary, left it there for about four days, put in a bag of hops and left it in for another four days, then bottled.

I dry hopped using a cotton bag made for that purpose, so I didn't have hop leavings floating around and it didn't affect the clarity of the ale. Organic Cotton Dry Hop Bag - OCB7

Old 02-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I prefer to use whole hops for dry hopping and they don't seem to affect the clarity of the beer. I don't really like using a bag at that point because of sanitization concerns, and the whole hops are easy to rack out from under.

You will get the most out of the hop flavor and aroma if you make that the last thing right before bottling.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber