Bottles breaking - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottles breaking

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
EddieWess
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Conifer, Colorado
Posts: 65


What is causing some of my bottles to break when opening them. I've had this happen to me three times now, thats 36 ozs of good home brew. Yoicks!!

The beer is good, it is carbonated, everything appears to be normal. It was 3 weeks in primary, then 3 weeks carbing up in bottles,

Like I said, Yoicks!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Bert
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Southbridge, Ma
Posts: 83


How are you opening them and where are they breaking? I've had overcarbed bottles explode but have never broken one opening it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
EddieWess
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Conifer, Colorado
Posts: 65

They are breaking just under or at the cap line, there has been glass still in the cap when they break. Have I or one of my brewcrew (wife and/or son) been putting them on too tight? We use a hand held capper. My wife broke one last night while bottling but that's a different story.

Hold off on replying gang, I just saw an earlier thread on this subject, thanks.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Sudz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
OKC America
Posts: 311
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWess View Post
They are breaking just under or at the cap line, there has been glass still in the cap when they break. Have I or one of my brewcrew (wife and/or son) been putting them on too tight? We use a hand held capper. My wife broke one last night while bottling but that's a different story.

Hold off on replying gang, I just saw an earlier thread on this subject, thanks.
If you found an answer how about posting it.

I had this problem with my early brews. Changed caps and the problem never occurred again. I was losing a good 80% of my bottles. They would break just below the cap at an angle. I was using the oxygenated caps which appear like they are made from heavier metal. I also backed off of the force we were using to cap. Never did know for sure what was causing the problem but... it's gone now.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:59 AM   #5
EddieWess
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Conifer, Colorado
Posts: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudz View Post
If you found an answer how about posting it.

I had this problem with my early brews. Changed caps and the problem never occurred again. I was losing a good 80% of my bottles. They would break just below the cap at an angle. I was using the oxygenated caps which appear like they are made from heavier metal. I also backed off of the force we were using to cap. Never did know for sure what was causing the problem but... it's gone now.
The thread I found didn't have too much, a couple of ideas. Here's that thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottles-breaking-60337/

Sudz, I've only lost 3 bottles out of 3 batches, 80% would surely bother the heck out of me.

I don't know what you mean by oxygenated caps. I use the caps I get when I buy a kit at my LHBS. I didn't know there were any choices there.

I will try using less force when capping and, as one poster suggested, try holding the bottle closer to the cap when opening.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
MajorTom
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 168

I had a few bottles break just around the crown and figured out that I was capping them too hard. I had a couple break when I was opening them, didn't think anything about it. Then one day when capping, I noticed one had a crack around the top of the neck as I was putting it in the box. I let up some of the pressure on the bottle caper and I think that solved the problem. Also, I started using the oxygen barrier caps(the silver colored ones). They are made out of something much softer than the gold colored caps and they go onto the bottle with a lot less pressure. Much easier to use!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 30,936
Liked 4859 Times on 3275 Posts


I've never seen this. I've used both a bench capper and a wing capper and so far no problem. I'll keep an eye out though. I had no idea that this could be a concern.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Marko73
 
Marko73's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Clayton, North Carolina
Posts: 617
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Are these newer bottles or ones that you have capped before? I am not sure if that would make a difference, but just wondering if repeated opening caused some sort of stress to the crown.

I have never experienced that before so I am interested as well. . . .
__________________
"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 PM   #9
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Sudz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
OKC America
Posts: 311
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
I had a few bottles break just around the crown and figured out that I was capping them too hard. I had a couple break when I was opening them, didn't think anything about it. Then one day when capping, I noticed one had a crack around the top of the neck as I was putting it in the box. I let up some of the pressure on the bottle caper and I think that solved the problem. Also, I started using the oxygen barrier caps(the silver colored ones). They are made out of something much softer than the gold colored caps and they go onto the bottle with a lot less pressure. Much easier to use!
I too concluded it was too much force on the capper even though looking at it I couldn't see how "extra push" translated to additional stress on the bottle. I found the oxygen caps to be much harder to cap and remove. Interesting we found differences here. Maybe it has something to do with the bottles themselves?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Sudz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
OKC America
Posts: 311
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko73 View Post
Are these newer bottles or ones that you have capped before? I am not sure if that would make a difference, but just wondering if repeated opening caused some sort of stress to the crown.

I have never experienced that before so I am interested as well. . . .
In my case all the bottles were new.... as was I....

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bottles Breaking DCP Bottling/Kegging 14 02-18-2009 05:23 PM
Bottling Mystery - bottles breaking at the neck Sudz Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 05-19-2008 12:56 PM
Breaking Beer Bottles TheJadedDog Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 3 09-13-2007 07:10 PM
Breaking Cheesefood Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 3 07-27-2006 07:49 AM


Forum Jump