Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > How much grain in a 5 gallon cooler?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
jldc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default How much grain in a 5 gallon cooler?

How much grain will fit in a 5 gallon cooler?

I understand that you need a 10 gallon cooler to do 5 gallon AG batches, but I have an old 5 gallon cooler, which makes the price about right.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #2
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Go ahead and use it. I find that you will run out of room at some point depending on how strong you like to brew and grain to water ratio. Use the Can I mash it calculator on this page to see if your recipe will fit in the cooler.
Edit: Most likely you can get 13 lbs of grain in there @ 1.18 quarts per pound.

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Old 02-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
smokysalsa
Recipes 

What is mash thickness?

Old 02-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
kjung
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldc View Post
How much grain will fit in a 5 gallon cooler?

I understand that you need a 10 gallon cooler to do 5 gallon AG batches, but I have an old 5 gallon cooler, which makes the price about right.

I've got a 5 gal. cooler MLT that I use for 5 gal batches. I just did a batch this weekend that used almost 11 lbs. of grain, and it fit just fine.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-
Albert Einstein

"Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!"- Einstein, again

Old 02-17-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
shmevinator
Recipes 

I've also got a 5 gallon round cooler. I find that it maxes out at 13 lbs of grain at 1.25 gal/lb. And this ratio leaves a little bit of space to make small temperature adjustments, if necessary.

If I want a stronger beer, I just make up the difference with extract.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
cellardoor
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've done Yooper's DFH 60 min clone in a 5 gal MLT. The grain bill was 14 lbs. It was a real tight fit and I mashed pretty thick but it worked out. Last night I used 12lbs and used a 1.25 qts/lb mash and it all fit perfectly with about 1/2" to spare at the top.

Primary: Smoked Porter
Secondary: Flanders Red 2010
Kegged: 10.10.10, Robust Porter, American IPA

"Without algae, there would be no life on earth, the seas would be sterile and the land would be uncolonized."
-Sir David Attenborough

Old 02-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2888 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

The green bay rackers calculator is great...

I have crammed 14 pounds of grain using a tad over 1 quart/gallon mash water (I think it was 1.06 quarts according to the calculator) and using biermuncher's sparge bucket to sparge with...Actually irc, I think I drained the tun, then filled the cooler with half the water, closed it up for 20 minutes, then put the bucket on top, and pseudo flysparged the rest of it....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
sterling214
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
Go ahead and use it. I find that you will run out of room at some point depending on how strong you like to brew and grain to water ratio. Use the Can I mash it calculator on this page to see if your recipe will fit in the cooler.
Edit: Most likely you can get 13 lbs of grain in there @ 1.18 quarts per pound.
Thank you for that link, that is a sweet site.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

My guys at the LHBS told me I could probably fit around 12lbs of grain in my 5 gallon cooler, maybe a tad more.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
jldc

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, especially the link to the calculator.