Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First batch tonight!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
deputybrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First batch tonight!

After too much pondering, I finally got all the necessities for home brewing my first batch! My Fiance's uncle used to be an avid homebrewer, but since diagnosed with celiacs disease 5 years ago, his old gear has just been gathering dust. I went and picked it all up last weekend, and gave it all a good washing piece by piece. After reading post after post on this website, I decided to use a low concentrate of bleach to clean everything good. I then rinsed all tools with 130ish degree water, to get all the bleach-y water off. I plan on sanitizing with the idophor (sp?) solution before beginning. I will be doing the Brewers Best American Wheat package for my first brew, I would have done something else, but BB packages are all my LHBS carry. One plus is, I only live about 100 miles SE of Midwest Supplies, so on my way to visit the rents, i will be making stops in the future! What I am wondering is, for all you seasoned vets out there, what are some steps you really wish you would have not skipped/missed on your first brew day? Also, approximately how long does it take to go from heating water, to pouring into the fermenter? I have nothing but time on my hands, as I work nights so midnight to most is noon to me!

Depending on how well it goes, I will post pictures and info tomorrow!

Wish me luck

DB

Old 02-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
magnj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My first day took like 5 hours but I did a lot of double checking, figuring out how to use the siphon, etc. Your first time could take a few hours, as you get more experienced that time will come down for extract kits. Until you get into All Grain and then all bets are off. Good luck, have fun.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

An extract batch usually takes me 3-3.5 hours...AG batch I give myself 5 hours.
Happy brewing...welcome to the club..

Old 02-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #4
deputybrewer
Recipes 

Must say I am a little dissapointed. As i mentioned this is my first crack at it, but the TRUE BREW kit I purchased is all malt. I was looking forward to steeping some grain, but hey there is always tomorrow right! Right now the water is a-boiling away, so I am off to add the malt!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #5
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Meh, my first kit was all malt, too. It''s not a bad way to get your feet wet. Have fun, and since you don't have homebrew to drink while you're brewing (yet), be sure to down some good commercials!

BTW, I have to say, I'm jealous of how you scored all that equipment for free!

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-17-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
Irish1225
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebrewer View Post
An extract batch usually takes me 3-3.5 hours...AG batch I give myself 5 hours.
Happy brewing...welcome to the club..

buckeye, your profile pic looks like quite a tasty dessert to me. maybe i'll make a PBR clone next

Old 02-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
deputybrewer
Recipes 

you can bet I bought an amazing IPA from Lake Mills Wisconsin! Just waiting for the wort to cool, then yeast city! This is the coolest thing ever. I dont know why I didnt discover this when I was 16!

Old 02-17-2009, 02:23 AM   #8
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputybrewer View Post
you can bet I bought an amazing IPA from Lake Mills Wisconsin! Just waiting for the wort to cool, then yeast city! This is the coolest thing ever. I dont know why I didnt discover this when I was 16!

Ah so you've had Stone Tepee? I never had it, not a fan of IPA, but they make some other stuff that's not bad. Where you from?

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 02-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #9
deputybrewer
Recipes 

It is actually the Bitter Woman I.P.A, although the Stone Tepee is pretty good for a Pale Ale!

The yeast has been added and now i just wait for the bubbles!

I am from Saint Charles, MN, A town of only 3000 about 25 miles east of Rochester. Gotta stay close to Roch as the fiance works at mayo, so I can have all the fun!

Where do you live?

Old 02-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
deputybrewer
Recipes 

Well, I awoke to a pleasant surprise. Last night I measured the grav at 1.048 (supposed to be 1.049) but this could be due to my hydrometer virginity. All seemed well, after adding the yeast. I set the airlock up and got her stored in a temp controlled room. Woke up to see krausen city, and bubble city in the fermenter/airlock! I know this is NOT an accurate measure of fermentation, but its cool to watch. What I am wondering, is how often should I be taking grav readings on the brew? I'm sure it wont be for awhile yet, but still... something to look forward to in the next week!

Also, if the krausen accumulates much more, I will have to put on a blowoff valve, which i purchased just in case. Is there anything special I need to do (besides sanitize equipment) when doing this?

Thanks for all the help!