Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > tweaking all grain system

Old 02-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
blackwaterbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default tweaking all grain system

i am on my 4th all grain batch. still working out the kinks in my system ( efficiency, pre-boil volume, strike water temp). this may be a coincedence, but i seem to be getting very quick fermentations. it will start much faster than normal, get a huge krrausen and a good roll, then after a dayu or two jsut seem to stop all together and bubble maybe once per minute. the extract way seemed to be a mor elongated fermentation. any thoughts?

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwaterbrewer View Post
i am on my 4th all grain batch. still working out the kinks in my system ( efficiency, pre-boil volume, strike water temp). this may be a coincedence, but i seem to be getting very quick fermentations. it will start much faster than normal, get a huge krrausen and a good roll, then after a dayu or two jsut seem to stop all together and bubble maybe once per minute. the extract way seemed to be a mor elongated fermentation. any thoughts?
I found the same thing when I moved from extract to all grain. Pretty anecdotal, but my guess is that I tend to mash lower that the people making the extract. I usually mash in the 148-150 range because I like a dryer, more fermentable wort. I rarely have a beer that will end higher than 1.012, and they usually finish out in about 4 days. With extract, I would see 1.014-1.016 and it would take 1-2 weeks to reach that level. Again, this is just a guess but that's been my experience.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 02-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

interesting. i know that it is ideal to have a quick start. as long as i am getting correct a.b.v., who cares? i thought maybe that i needed to aerate more because of boiling the full wort volume. all i do is shake the crap out of the primary carboy for a few minutes. maybe i need a more "sophisticated" method.

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
BierMuncher