Infected DJ - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Infected DJ

Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Will_Tingle
Recipes 

Jan 2009

I've just been given a half dozen old glass DJs, on of which contained the gloopy natural reduction of 15 year old wine - looks like oil, smells like vinegar.

Someone told me that once a DJ had got an infection (and therefore smells like vinegar) you'll never get it out - but I can't see that - is there any truth to it?

Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Rockville, MD
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You can always fill it with a dilute bleach solution and see what happens after a day or two.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Petunia
Recipes 

Jul 2007
South Carolina

Hi,

I bought four DJ's at an estate sale and had to clean out some bugs, pens, paper, and many years of grime. I used very hot water with a dish detergent bleach mix. Afterward I aged my elderberry wine in them with no problems at all. If you are worried about the bleach remaining I believe it dissipates when left to air dry after a day.

Really, my biggest concern was not destroying the wicker covering while I was washing out the bottles.

Jennifer
Apfelwein No. 4
Bottled and getting bubbly --> 3rd batch of Apfelwein
Bottled: Elderberry Wine --> Good Stuff!
Done and Drinking: Irish Stout, American Cream Ale, EdWort's Apfelwein, American Wheat Ale excellent now that it has aged, Raspberry wine: too wonderful for words! Red Ale

www.badpasofinoethics.com

Pantry is getting crowded again

Old 02-17-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Tingle View Post
I've just been given a half dozen old glass DJs, on of which contained the gloopy natural reduction of 15 year old wine - looks like oil, smells like vinegar.

Someone told me that once a DJ had got an infection (and therefore smells like vinegar) you'll never get it out - but I can't see that - is there any truth to it?
you didn't toss that (possibly -the best EVER) vingear away did you?! - I'd try it out before I threw it out - you might have something there if it's not moldy or stinks like a corpse...

if you did already toss it - soak in a bleach solution... then if you can find a place to do it for you... a dentist office, doctor's office, Biotech companies ( your best bet IMHO - they are usually staffed with young and rowdy learned types who generally like... alchohol... ie: home brew... ) so I bet you could make a deal for a bottle of homebrew wine or a sixer of home brew beer and get your stinky DJ though an autoclave (nothing biological will survive that)
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 02-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
Will_Tingle
Recipes 

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffalupagus View Post
you didn't toss that (possibly -the best EVER) vinegar away did you?!
As best I could tell it was a LONG time since that DJ last had a lid on it, so that vinegar was probably flavored with more than it's fair share of garage dirt....

Pro sterilization I hadn't thought of - I live in nowhere, north Yorkshire, so bio tech companies are a bit thin on the ground, but I do know one of the guys who works at the local tatoo / peircing studio - I wonder if a DJ would fit in their equipment...

If not I'll just hope a strong bleach solution kills it of and then wash it out a couple (dozen) times to get rid of the bleach.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Petunia
Recipes 

Jul 2007
South Carolina

Along those lines you might just use a pressure canner, they come in very large sizes and could be easier to borrow.

Jennifer
Apfelwein No. 4
Bottled and getting bubbly --> 3rd batch of Apfelwein
Bottled: Elderberry Wine --> Good Stuff!
Done and Drinking: Irish Stout, American Cream Ale, EdWort's Apfelwein, American Wheat Ale excellent now that it has aged, Raspberry wine: too wonderful for words! Red Ale

www.badpasofinoethics.com

Pantry is getting crowded again

Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
KiRbY29869
Recipes 

Mar 2008

Bleach water with detergent will do the trick. Just soak it for a day or two and grab a carboy brush and scrub anything stuck to the inside off. Rinse very well so you don't get bleach contamination and you be fine. I did this when I got two 6 gal. carboys for a buck a piece and have made a lot of wine since then.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:10 AM   #8
Snuffalupagus
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Will_Tingle;1138653]As best I could tell it was a LONG time since that DJ last had a lid on it, so that vinegar was probably flavored with more than it's fair share of garage dirt....QUOTE]

LOL... you may be right there!
Drinking: "All Apple" Apfelwein, Mixed Berry Country wine, Blueberry Belgian White ale.

comming to a carboy near you...
Redhook ESB clone

Old 02-19-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
LastKnight
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Hampton Roads, VA
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiRbY29869 View Post
...I got two 6 gal. carboys for a buck a piece...
I'm sorry, I can't seem to hear you over this sudden roar of ENVY.