Fridge temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep mine as cold as possible without freezing anything! Usually between 45-50 degrees.

Okay, I have my freezer set to 55 or so right now with a temp controller & with that goes to about 50 before it shuts the freezer off. I'm thinking I might want to drop it down to 50 on the temp controller.

Thanks!

Some folks like colder beer, some like it warmer and some are using their beer fridge for lagering.

What are your preferences and usage of your fridge? That might help folks advise you.

I bought a freezer specifically to keep kegs in. So the only thing in it right now is 1 keg & the CO2. I will put my xmas ale in there in about a month and a half to let it condition at "cellar temps".

I keep mine around 45F, a little cool for ales, but since I'm the only one drinking, the lower temperature extends the life.

edost said:
I bought a freezer specifically to keep kegs in. So the only thing in it right now is 1 keg & the CO2. I will put my xmas ale in there in about a month and a half to let it condition at "cellar temps".

Do you like really cold beers or warmer beers in general?

A good way to find out is buy an assortment of commercial beers (of similar types you intend to brew) and try them at different serving temps. when you find the temp at which you most enjoy the beers you like, you'll have found the right temp for your kegerator.

I guess this is one of those personal preference questions. I'll just have to test it out with some good homebrew. A tough job, but I suppose somebody has to do it.

Thanks again

Spyk'd said:
I keep mine as cold as possible without freezing anything! Usually between 45-50 degrees.

You can go a lot colder than that without freezing. The temperature strip on my cornies are reading 38 right now.

ablrbrau said:
You can go a lot colder than that without freezing. The temperature strip on my cornies are reading 38 right now.

Yep, but I find that I freeze my near empty kegs and beer lines below that in my small keggerator unlike the expanse of that in which is yours. Maybe you have more air space in yours and/or brew?

I look forward to tasting your brew one day as I'm sure it'll freeze my brain!@!@!

Yep, but I find that I freeze my near empty kegs and beer lines below that in my small keggerator ....

You sir, need a higher alcohol content in your beers! :cross: (JK)

I keep my beer fridge/ kegerator at ~50-55 degrees F.

Spyk'd said:
Yep, but I find that I freeze my near empty kegs and beer lines below that in my small keggerator unlike the expanse of that in which is yours. Maybe you have more air space in yours and/or brew?

I look forward to tasting your brew one day as I'm sure it'll freeze my brain!@!@!

My keggerator is only a small (4.3cu i think) Danby. Are you sure your temp readings are accurate? Calibrate a thermometer and stick it in your fridge for a day or so........

I prefer the beer around 45, my GF likes it colder so I try to keep the kegerator at 40.On hot days it drifts up a bit, no worries.

Back