can't wash the beer smell out of brew bucket - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > can't wash the beer smell out of brew bucket

Old 02-14-2009, 04:29 AM   #1
Pejepscot
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Maine U.S.A.
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi Guys'

Tomorrow I am planning to start my 4th batch in my food-grade plastic bucket (primary fermenter). After each successive batch the plastic has retained more and more "beer smell". While it's not an unpleasant smell, I'm afraid it will impart off flavors to my next batch.

I wash the bucket immediately once it is emptied with hot soapy water, plenty of rinse and then Star San sanitization - but the smell persists.

Any advice?

Ren

Old 02-14-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
beerbuddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Milford, MA

If it smelled like something else I would be worried. As long as it is clean use it like it is.

Old 02-14-2009, 04:32 AM   #3
Jolly McStanson
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Newport RI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My plastic beer bucket smells like the last batch no matter what I do. It doesnt seem to affect the next batch however. I'M mostly using glass carboys now. When you clean them there's no smell after.
Kegged: half of something from last Spring
Kegged: half of something from last Spring

Old 02-14-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Armpit of Dallas (Irving), TX
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

The easiest way to remedy that problem is... don't put you face in the bucket. It's going to get stained and retain smells, but as long as it's clean, scratch free and sanitized before use, you will be fine.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 02-14-2009, 04:38 AM   #5
Pejepscot
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Maine U.S.A.
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow, thanks for the lightning fast responses. All systems are "go" for Brew-Day Tomorrow!

Thanks,

Ren

Old 02-14-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
JMSetzler

Recipes 

Dec 2008
Hickory, North Carolina
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

There are a couple things you could do to remove the smell if it really bothers you. As posted previously, I don't think there is a problem though. Try mixing a solution of about 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water and wipe down the inside of the bucket with it for a couple minutes. Let it sit wet for about 3-5 minutes and then fill the bucket with water. Let that sit for 30 minutes or so, dump it, and then rinse the bucket. I bet the smell will be gone.

Kamado Joe Cooking Channel - Grillin' up a Storm!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #7
shabedue
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota

OneStep helps quite a bit when I sanitize.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #8
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Medford, NY
Liked 37 Times on 20 Posts

Mike from Port Jefferson Brewing said that if it it smells it could harbor bacteria. He recommended Iodophor which I have yet to buy with no infetion yet.

I have soaked mine in Oxyclean for two days and the smell diminished but still slightly remained.

I just make sure I sanitize well after washing and before using.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #9
LimerickBrewCo
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Limerick, Pennsylvania
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
There are a couple things you could do to remove the smell if it really bothers you. As posted previously, I don't think there is a problem though. Try mixing a solution of about 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water and wipe down the inside of the bucket with it for a couple minutes. Let it sit wet for about 3-5 minutes and then fill the bucket with water. Let that sit for 30 minutes or so, dump it, and then rinse the bucket. I bet the smell will be gone.
That's what I would do. Personally I don't think the smell is a big deal just be sure to sanitize well and there shouldn't be a problem.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 AM   #10
sudsmcgee

Recipes 

May 2010
Western Chicago Burbs, IL
Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

A bucket that smells like beer might potentially make your beer smell like beer. If you have a problem with that, don't use buckets. I'm OK with my beer smelling like beer personally.