Blichmann Boilermaker as sole mash tun, boiling kettle? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Blichmann Boilermaker as sole mash tun, boiling kettle?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
climateboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Posts: 455
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts



Hey, all. I'm looking to build an AG setup, and am considering using a 10-gallon Blichmann Boilermaker as both a mash tun and boiling kettle.

My reason for this is mainly space-oriented...if I can do without a 10-gallon Rubbermaid cooler around for a mash-tun, I'd love to.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions. I realize insulation will be an issue, does anyone have suggestions for that?

My idea is that I would sparge and lauter into my fermenting buckets, siphon or pour back into the Blichmann, and boil away.

Any thoughts?
__________________
"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers


"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
McKBrew
 
McKBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Posts: 8,204
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts


It's going to be a PITA and you'll find out real quick that you wish you would have spend the money on the cooler. Seriously, find the space to keep the cooler.
__________________
Make Beer, Not War.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
climateboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Posts: 455
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
It's going to be a PITA and you'll find out real quick that you wish you would have spend the money on the cooler. Seriously, find the space to keep the cooler.
Thanks...can you elaborate?
__________________
"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers


"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #4
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, Jersey
Posts: 9,521
Liked 1358 Times on 1043 Posts


Will certainly work if you want to do it that way...for me I would get a rubbermaid 48 qt rectangular for like 18 bucks...then you can heat the runnings while sparging to save some time.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #5
McKBrew
 
McKBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Posts: 8,204
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts


I just see it as being excessively time consuming.

You perform your mash, and drain it into a bucket. Then you have to get all the grain out of the pot, which will take up more time. You also have to have fermenting buckets capable of withstanding the heat of the mash (150 deg) and the sparge water (up to 190 deg).

Not saying it's not doable, but it's going to take some dedication.
__________________
Make Beer, Not War.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #6
climateboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Posts: 455
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
Will certainly work if you want to do it that way...for me I would get a rubbermaid 48 qt rectangular for like 18 bucks...then you can heat the runnings while sparging to save some time.
Sorry, can you explain how that would work? All grain noob here.
__________________
"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers


"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:19 AM   #7
Anthony_Lopez
 
Anthony_Lopez's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Groton, MA
Posts: 1,536
Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts


I can see a few problems with this.
1. You will have some temp. loss issues during your mash in a Boilermaker. These are meant to be used in a recirculating or direct fired system to maintain temps. Coolers are insulated and will maintain temps without an outside heat source.
2. While you are sparging, you can be heating up your runnings on the burner to get a head start towards a boil. Without a separate MLT and BK, you won't be able to do that.

Spend the money and get yourself a coleman extreme 52 quart cooler, a conversion kit from greatbargains.net, and a stainless hose assembly and follow flyguy's conversion. It will run you about 40-50 bucks and will be well worth the money. When you aren't using the cooler, you can store some of your all grain in it. I typically store my thermometers, cleaning brushes, and other brew day gear in my MLT cooler when it's not in use.
__________________
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:58 AM   #8
FlyGuy
 
FlyGuy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,605
Liked 178 Times on 51 Posts


One reason I like my 10 gal round Rubbermaid cooler is that my brew kettle fits nicely inside when I store it. Saves a lot of space.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:10 AM   #9
climateboy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Posts: 455
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony_Lopez View Post
I can see a few problems with this.
1. You will have some temp. loss issues during your mash in a Boilermaker. These are meant to be used in a recirculating or direct fired system to maintain temps. Coolers are insulated and will maintain temps without an outside heat source.
2. While you are sparging, you can be heating up your runnings on the burner to get a head start towards a boil. Without a separate MLT and BK, you won't be able to do that.

Spend the money and get yourself a coleman extreme 52 quart cooler, a conversion kit from greatbargains.net, and a stainless hose assembly and follow flyguy's conversion. It will run you about 40-50 bucks and will be well worth the money. When you aren't using the cooler, you can store some of your all grain in it. I typically store my thermometers, cleaning brushes, and other brew day gear in my MLT cooler when it's not in use.

Okay. Well, I can keep the Boilermaker on the stove, I have no problem with that. I also still have my 5 gallon kettle, so I can use that to heat the runnings.

I should have said, I've been doing a lot of extract, partial mash, and mini-mash brewing. So I have a bunch of buckets, carboys, etc.

So, FlyGuy, adding a 10 gallon cooler to my collection wouldn't give me storage space I don't have, but rather give me something else to store. It's a 3D jigsaw puzzle in my brew closet as it is.

Please, guys, keep this coming. This is my one shot at getting this equipment buy right.
__________________
"Mas vale bolo famoso que alcoholico anonimo."

Join DC Homebrewers


"Fermentation Without Representation"
(C)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:15 AM   #10
Anthony_Lopez
 
Anthony_Lopez's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Groton, MA
Posts: 1,536
Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts


I dont think there is anything else for us to tell you if you don't want to listen to us... You will never keep your mash temperatures perfect with a direct fire system without a temp. controller. Using a mash tun that will keep the heat from escaping is what you should be looking at if you want to get it right without spending tons of cash. Judging by your other post about the gear your sister got you, you dont' need all the best things to make good beer.
__________________
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
--Tom Waits

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
--Frank Zappa

My Cheap and Easy Stirplate

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blichmann Boilermaker for MLT/Boil Kettle/both/neither? LandoCalrissian Equipment/Sanitation 36 10-09-2011 03:07 AM
Question about Blichmann Boilermaker zman Equipment/Sanitation 3 09-23-2009 09:36 PM
Blichmann Boilermaker 10g setup: 15g HLT, MLT and 20g BK Gordie For Sale 2 08-23-2009 05:53 AM


Forum Jump