Bleach as sanitizer? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bleach as sanitizer?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #1
BrewTaster
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 104


Ive heard there are people who use bleach as sanitizer out there, and im sick of paying for iodophor! Does this stuff really work? How do i use it? And is it safe for consumption no-rinse? Also wondering if itd make sense to store my carboys full of bleach water?

Let me know guys, hopefulyl this'll save me a bunch of money for grains and hops!


 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts


Bleach is DEFINATELY NOT no-rinse. You want to rinse it well or your brews will be nasty. The dilution rate is something that eludes me now, something along the lines of a tablespoon or so per 5 gallons water.

I use StarSan, mix it up, place it in a spray bottle and you will use like 1/2 quart of mixed solution per session... it is CHEAP!


 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
ArcaneXor
 
ArcaneXor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Posts: 4,572
Liked 118 Times on 105 Posts


You can use bleach as a no-rinse sanitizer, but it's at such a low concentration that it becomes very ineffective (i.e. it requires a very long contact time). The flavor threshold for bleach is very low, and its flavor is very unpleasant if you mess up on the dosage. The savings, to me, is not worth the hassle. $18 of Starsan lasts me for a year or more. It's cheap and it works great.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Posts: 2,617
Liked 203 Times on 169 Posts


If you are too cheap to buy iodophor or Starsan you can use bleach but it is not a no-rinse sanitiser. Bleach also takes longer to work so you need a much longer contact time than iodine products. A small bottle of iodophor lasts a long time, doesn't cost all that much, is very fast acting and can be mixed as a no-rinse solution. I do use bleach for cleaning glass carboys. A couple of ounces and fill with water followed by just letting them soak. It's easy and low maintenance but I still rinse the hell out of them afterwards and then use iodophor to sanitize before using. It's up to you but to me the advantages of modern sanitizing products have it all over bleach.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 59,231
Liked 7697 Times on 6283 Posts


Sorry Pol have to interject.

According to Charlie Talley bleach can be no-rinse as long as it is acidulated (vinegar) but it does not have a good shelf life and it has to be highly diluted.

For more seek out Basic Brewing podcast with Five Star.

BTW, Star San is no-rinse and has an extremely long shelf life when mixed with distilled or even reverse osmotified. I've had 5 gallons stay at proper pH for nearly 2 years.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Sorry Pol have to interject.

According to Charlie Talley bleach can be no-rinse as long as it is acidulated (vinegar) but it does not have a good shelf life and it has to be highly diluted.

For more seek out Basic Brewing podcast with Five Star.

BTW, Star San is no-rinse and has an extremely long shelf life when mixed with distilled or even reverse osmotified. I've had 5 gallons stay at proper pH for nearly 2 years.

Okay, I recant... for anyone normal, bleach is not no-rinse

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
jds
 
jds's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,913
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewTaster View Post
Ive heard there are people who use bleach as sanitizer out there, and im sick of paying for iodophor! Does this stuff really work? How do i use it? And is it safe for consumption no-rinse? Also wondering if itd make sense to store my carboys full of bleach water?

Let me know guys, hopefulyl this'll save me a bunch of money for grains and hops!

How much iodophor are you using? 3ml per gallon (excuse the mixed units) is all you need for no-rinse use. A small bottle of iodophor lasts me a year or more.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #8
BrewTaster
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 104

1ml/liter, which works out to about 4ml/gallon. Maybe i just need to be more efficient in my use of it. How big of bottles are you using?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #9
The Pol
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Posts: 11,454
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts


If you dunk items in it, you will use a lot more... if you place a no rinse in a spray bottle to spray your equipment, you will use almost nothing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:03 AM   #10
BrewTaster
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
If you dunk items in it, you will use a lot more... if you place a no rinse in a spray bottle to spray your equipment, you will use almost nothing.
I beleive that you sir have just explained my overusage! I feel like a moron lol.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bleach mpetty Equipment/Sanitation 14 07-26-2013 08:17 PM
bleach /help!/ 400d Equipment/Sanitation 4 09-27-2009 03:56 PM
Bleach + Vinegar sanitizer, success stories? bad coffee Equipment/Sanitation 1 09-11-2009 08:27 PM
TSP & Bleach Kaazmar Equipment/Sanitation 2 10-31-2007 03:06 AM
Bleach ffgus Equipment/Sanitation 2 10-25-2007 01:56 AM


Forum Jump