Lager ferment ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenheimer

Reaction score
a few questions I couldn't find answers to after using the search engine.

I'm about to brew my first lager and i was wondering how violent a fermentation I can expect. If I'm fermenting in a 6.5 gallon carboy or an ale pale do I need a blowoff tube like when making ales? or can I just use an airlock because the fermentation will be less violent?

Also I plan on lagering in my keg instead of a traditional secondary, should I cold crash before transfering it? And do seal and purge off the oxygen from the keg with some Co2 before starting the lager or will that keep the lager from happening?

Thanks as always,
Matt

I have never had a violent lager but, I wont be so bold as to say it wont happen. Better safe than sorry, IMO, especially if you are at 1.060 or higher gravities.

Keg secondaries are common. I'd crash it too.

Lagers typically do not need all that blowoff, as they don't ferment as quickly or "violently" as ales. The lower temperature helps. However, like Gila says, be prepared. Yeast doesn't ask your permission before doing whatever it wants to do.

I recommend against crashing, though. When you go down to lagering temperatures, you do so gently. Maybe drop about five degrees (F) per day over a few days. I usually drop the temp three degrees (F) in the morning, and then two more at night. You don't want the yeast to just shut down. You need it to properly lager your beer.

Lagering in the keg is fine. With the time and temperature for lagering, your beer should clear out well, and the yeast will pack down well at the bottom. Yes, go ahead and purge your keg. Go ahead and hook it up to the CO2, as well, if you want. It won't mess anything up.

TL

Back