Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 5 Gal RubberMaid Mash/Tun

Old 06-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #1
Beer Snob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default 5 Gal RubberMaid Mash/Tun

This is how I put one together after a long and painfull process.

This is a picture of all the parts needed.

Rubber Maid 5 Gal cooler, Kewler Kit, and some barbs that change diameter sizes. You will also see that I decided to go with the Steet false bottom. Phils is ok, but it did not fit in the other cooler I attempted to use first.

Here is the order where you will install all the fittings together. The cooler will be to the left of the Ball valve. There is a machined nut. You take that off and flush it between the rubber gasket and the spiggot openng in the cooler.

In the end it will look like this....

If you look at the brass nut you will see that it is machined out. This is to be able to fit the washer very snugly againsst the cooler wall.

The inside:

The challenges of the insde is that the spece btween false bottom and fittings to the outside world is not a lot. Another challenge is to be sure you get High Temp tubbing as the normal vynle tubbing wont hold. I actually got some steel clamps to just to be sure.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 06-14-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default 2nd posting

Success!

Well Ok, almost. You dont see it here but it is leaking just a tad from one of the outside fittings. Not the Kewler Kit though. Dude had suggested using Teflon Tape and it was a great idea as I never had a drop of liquid come out of the fittings now.

Other things......

1. The Kewler Kit does not wobble much. When you homemake this connection it seemed to wobble a lot actually.
2. DO NOT TAKE OUT YOUR DRILL! Put it in a place you will not get at it. All you do is take off the spigot assembly and put the Kewler Kit on. THATS IT!
3. Whne you are making this, take everything you go to wherever it is you are going. This way you check things out before you buy them... bring them home... find they dont work..... return them. This is a long process that can be easily fixed by doing one thing... take everytrhing you are working on to whatever store you are going to.
4. Make/Buy false bottom or whatever means you plan to do this job BEFORE you buy the cooler. Your going to take this to the cooler and make sure it fits before walking out the store with it.
5. When you get to the conenctors... same thing applies... you are goign to take your cooler, now set up with your false bottom or whatever you are using.

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 06-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What was your total cost?

Old 06-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Toilet Rocker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Where'd you buy the Kewler Kit?

Old 06-14-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Thanks for posting this. I know this has been discussed alot lately on this forum and I agree that you went the right way with the Kewler Kit.

Your pictures are awesome. I'd be interested in your cost as well, although the cooler is the only piece that can be heavily discounted if you have a good cooler source. I'll be making mine with a 10 gallon cooler for future expansion.
American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 06-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
Ize
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelone
Where'd you buy the Kewler Kit?
Northern Brewer carries them. Look under "Weldless fittings". I'm glad you posted this Michael, because knowing how I am I'd rather drop the extra cash and not have to screw with it....

Ize

Sig to re-open when it's less of an embarassment
What I do for a living on the web... www.wsoyam.com

Old 06-16-2006, 11:54 PM   #7
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just picked all those up. I had the brass ball valve, so I just ordered the weldless bulkhead. And a word to those who want to do this. Order the Bulkhead and pick up the ball valve at your local hardware store. You will save quite a bit. Hmm, I wonder if I could of found that at the hardware store as well... Anyways, i also picked up that false bottom.

I got a question for you guys though. How much does the false bottom leave in the cooler? Is there some sort of siphon tube underneath?

Old 06-17-2006, 12:06 AM   #8
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Did you decide on the stainless steel one? When I used mine it did not leave much... I'll be able to tell you more exactly tomorrow after I brew. It was really pretty negligable. I bet Phil's leaves more cause its more concaved.

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 06-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #9
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
I got a question for you guys though. How much does the false bottom leave in the cooler? Is there some sort of siphon tube underneath?
With the steel one the 90 degree fitting is flushed to the bottom and there is just a brass nut on the underside. There is not a lot of room under it for much of anything.

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 09-17-2006, 01:58 AM   #10
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm new to all this. Why do you need a false bottom in a mash tun?

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay