DFH 90 and 120, I leave it for those who enjoy it. - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > DFH 90 and 120, I leave it for those who enjoy it.
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I have to say that everyone out there makes beer for someone. This beer was not at all for me. Neither was the 120. Luckily other people drink this beer, but it is totally not for me. You don't have to worry about me depleating the stocks.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
chumprock
Recipes 

Dec 2008
Rochester, NY
Liked 35 Times on 24 Posts

Yeah, if you dont like the 90 then the 120 will melt your tongue.
Tried their 60 at all?

Last Saturday we blended the 60 & 90 for a "75" and it was right where I like it.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
RICLARK

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Grand Ledge, Mich
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
I have to say that everyone out there makes beer for someone. This beer was not at all for me. Neither was the 120. Luckily other people drink this beer, but it is totally not for me. You don't have to worry about me depleating the stocks.
Me either I can't stand the stuff. If I am not going to drink my own IPA's I buy Local except for Stone. I like Founders Double Trouble, Reds Rye PA, Two Hearted and Crooked Tree From Dark Horse. I still think the Stone Ruination is the best IPA I have ever had.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Santa Rosa, CA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I have to say that it is a very east coast styled beer. Nothing against it, just not for me. Very malty and not as much hops as I figured there would be. Syrup like as well. Glad I tried them though.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
johnnyc
Recipes 

Jan 2009
North Atlanta, GA
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
I have to say that it is a very east coast styled beer. Nothing against it, just not for me. Very malty and not as much hops as I figured there would be. Syrup like as well. Glad I tried them though.
East coast here. I enjoy them both and at the same time don't care for the Stone IPA. It just seems harsh and raw. On the other hand I like the Arrogant Bastard. Prob b/c the extra malt used to bump the ABV balances the hops better, for me that is.

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 02-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #6
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Apr 2007
West Chicago 'Burbs, IL
Liked 110 Times on 81 Posts

Quote:
I agree completely. Had the 60 min a couple of months ago and thought it barely touched Pale Ale territory, let alone IPA.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #7
adx

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Scaggsville, MD
Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

I like the 90 every now and then, but not all the time. I like my IPA to have a nice little base behind it. I find Stone IPA to be nothing more then a load of hops dumped into water. Throw a little something in there for some balance!

Old 02-11-2009, 01:58 AM   #8
remilard
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Kansas City
Liked 43 Times on 41 Posts

120 is neither an East Coast nor a West Coast IPA. It is a barleywine and should be evaluated accordingly, regardless of what the brewery chooses to call it.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:56 AM   #9
grammatron
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Peachtree City, GA

I like the 60 a lot. The 90 isn't anything special at all, though. I haven't had the 120, as the abv limit in GA is like 14% or something random and arbitrary like that.

The thing about DFH is that they do all these crazy brews, which is cool, but their best beers are the most straightforward ones (the 60 minute and the India Brown, imo).

Old 02-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
CaptYesterday
Recipes 

May 2008
Cleveland

Not fan of the 60 - leaves an astringent aftertaste on my tongue.

The 90 was great IMHO, it was nice and balanced and hid that 9% ABV very well (too well actually).

Never had the 120; I don't believe that I will ever be able to justify the cost enough to warrant buying one bottle let alone a 4 pack.