Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Noob Check Valve Question
Old 02-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Noob Check Valve Question

This question is really just to satisfy my curiosity. I am currently using a 3 piece airlock, but what about a one way check valve?

I have heard that sometimes primaries can suck the sanitized water/vodka through the airlock back into the fermenter. Why not use a one way check valve so nothing can get in, but the gas can escape? With check valves there is a certain amount of pressure that needs to be built up before they release any gas; the same principle goes with an airlock.

I assume the pressure needed for a check valve is greater than a traditional airlock and that this is why airlocks are preferred? But we all know what ASSuming can do.

Just curious!

lots of stuff brewing, fermenting, curing, rising, baking. Life is good.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

chris white of whitelabs on a podcast for the brewing network, advised that as little pressure as possible be put on fermenting beer, so like for the first 3 days or so he recommended a cheese cloth even be put over the mouth of the carboy, that fermentation will be so strong that the C02 will keep any nasties from getting in there, then after a few days go airlock, the pressure affects the yeast reproduction
Old 02-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You would have to have a check valve that opened under extremely low pressure. Maybe an extremely light swing check. anything with a spring in it would be too much.
Bottled: Kolsch, belgian Wit, Belgian dubbel, Edworts Haus Pale Ale
Seconday: We don't need no stinking Secondary
Primary: IPA