Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Extending the face of a fridge?

Old 02-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
ftlstrings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Extending the face of a fridge?

I have seen many posts of people adding height to their keezers, but i don't have a keezer, i have a fridge. A Magic Chef (mcbr465s) to be exact. This little guy holds *almost* two 5 gal kegs !!

I am wanting to use this fridge to hold three 5 gal kegs under my bar. I am wondering if anybody has extended the front of their fridges to accommodate more keggage? How'd you do it?

~M~

Old 02-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
ftlstrings
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just read my post and thought I should say more here. I am thinking about making my fridge "deeper" to hold more kegs. So, maybe removing the door and mounts, putting 1/2 inch plywood around the exterior of the fridge that extends off the front about 6 inches, and then finding a way to insulate the extension so it's energy efficient and will allow the door to reattach to the face of the fridge.....

Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I don't see why that wouldn't work. It's the same principle as extending a keezer. You'll need to make the bottom very strong so that it supports the weight of the keg(s)

Old 02-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
madewithchicken
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I took my magic chef mini fridge and added some space.

I first took the seal off the door and removed the plastic door insert. Then I dug out all of the insulation inside the door. Then I used GreatStuff and some cardboard to insulate the outside of the door.

I recommend using a sheet of Styrofoam instead of that GreatStuff insulation I used.

For more details check out my blog. I later added a cold plate and I run 4 kegs.

I probably will not be around much anymore. I had to close my restaurant and get a real job so i do not have the time to hang out online all day.

Check out my videos on my profile or at:

1920fairfax.com Just voted the worst show on the internet.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
TexasStu
Recipes 

Would THIS sort of thing be what you want?

Owner/Operator of Stupour Brewing

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Coopers Australian Pale Ale
Secondary Keg (room temp.):
Kegged:
Bottled: AHS Blue Moon Belgian White
On Deck: "Cascading Coopers Pale Ale"
& All-In! Winner's Choice Pale Ale.
2009 Total gallons = 53

Old 02-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Some guy has a description on here where he took a mini fridge - and put it in underneath of a table/bench - and then extended out to fill the whole underside of the table. It was a really neat setup & looked pretty simple.

Here's another one mattchu09 did: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-f...-build-102383/

Basic concept was the same - the hinges on the mini fridge doors swung out wide enough to allow you to just build a new corner & double the fridge area. Not sure if your Magic Chef has that same type of hinge.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
RockfordWhite
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I've seen somebody add a collar to their minifridge, can't find it though, it didn't look all that flattering IMHO

Old 02-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did that for a fermentation chamber, but later converted it into a kegerator. Held 2 5 gallons cornies and a 10# CO2 tank just fine. Basically, it's just a wooden collar that comes out of the front of the fridge. I just made sure the cuts were exact, and it fits like a glove.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/mini...project-62517/

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 02-10-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I've decided that I'm replacing my refrigerator kegerator with a chest freezer. Call me spoiled, but I really hate trying to reach in to disconnect the rear kegs and move them around in case I want to bottle or something.

I'll be turning my current kegerator into a fermentation cabinet.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
ftlstrings
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasStu View Post
Would THIS sort of thing be what you want?
Well, yes and no. I really like how the finished product looks there, and considered the design for my bar, but I am hoping to be able to utilize the space under the bar better. (use unused depth for the fridge and use more of the side-space to hold glasses, booze, and wine).

~M~