Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Making a recirculating keg MLT...

Old 02-10-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Paraops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Making a recirculating keg MLT...

Hi guys. I'm working on getting my single tier rig figured out and want to incorperate a recirculating keg MLT. From your experience for those of you that use RKMLT's, what configuration works best? IE: bulkhead/temp probe position and return bulkhead position and configuration? The MLT will be direct fired so I'm assuming a false bottom is preferred over a Bazooka. Thanks a lot guys!

If God didn't want us to eat animals..... we wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #2
missing link
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

There are many examples of different designs but the brutus 10 has to be the most copied design I have seen. Just mimic what Lonnie did and you should be all set.

Linc

Tap#1 = Beer
Tap#2 = Beer

THey change to often to keep up with the Sig.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
bierstein
Recipes 

Mine is a bit more crude than the Brutus 10. I've got a two-tier, but in my MT I use a Sabco false bottom, with a siphon pulling it from above the false bottom (similar to the Brew Magic MT). I do pump it out, and have found it to have occasional vacuum problems though.

My bulkheads are:
wort out: just above the false bottom
temp probe: about 4 inches above that
wort & HTL in: just above top "crease" in keg

I kept the temp probe lower because I occasionally brew batches of less than 10 gal.
For the top bulkhead, I have a copper sparge circle I use when sparging, and an elbow & plastic hose I use during wort recirc.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1215 Times on 798 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If you're going to direct fire, you really should get a full false bottom or make sure that the flame is limited to the section that will NOT have grain sitting against it. It's really easy to scorch.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Paraops
Recipes 

Bobby....I was thinking that, although how would you install a full false bottom in a keggle which has an opening smaller than the false bottom. I'd imagine having to cut through the lip left after removing the keg's top to do so.

If God didn't want us to eat animals..... we wouldn't have made them out of meat.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1215 Times on 798 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Two choices; cut the FB down the middle and use a piano hinge or slot the keg. I chose the latter:

I suppose you don't really need one that is 15" in diameter but you'd want one larger than 10". You don't need a monster flame on this thing.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:41 PM   #7
Paraops
Recipes 

Your dip tube doesn't go through the FB?

Old 02-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
sleepystevenson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Here's mine. Similar to Bobby's, with the slits cut for the false bottom. Mine drains from the bottom - no dip tube through the false bottom. False bottom is attached with little stainless legs which were tapped for a stainless bolt.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MLTInterior1.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	9703   Click image for larger version

Name:	MLTThermo.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	9704   Click image for larger version

Name:	MLTBottomRemoved.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	88.0 KB