Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Long primary and medium secondary

Old 02-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
xxdcmast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Long primary and medium secondary

I have a batch of chocolate porter that I brewed just about a month ago on the 9th of January. The yeast and all has settled to the bottom and there is a small film of stuff on the top. Im guessing this may a mixture of hops and or cocoa solids from the chocolate I used.

I was thinking that maybe this weekend I would rack it to a secondary being carfeul to not suck up too much trub from the bottom and also trying to get as little of the film from the top.

I was planning on then leaving it in the secondary for about a week or so and then finally bottling. I am hoping this will give me a clearer beer with no much on the top of it.

Is a month in primary and 1-2 weeks in secondary too long?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm sure some on here will argue with me, but I don't secondary unless it's one of two situations:

1. Dry hopping (sometimes)
2. Extended storage (big beers or lagers)

You don't have to worry about autolysis of the yeast for at least 2-3 months. I'd just leave it in primary for another 1-2 weeks and continue to let things settle out.

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 02-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #3
xxdcmast
Recipes 

Its not really the fear of autolysis that I am looking to avoid by moviing to the secondary. I have a pretty secure feeling that the stuff floating on top is cocoa solids and probably would not taste good or be good for the beer. I am trying to remove as much of that as possible from the beer.