Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Did I make jello in my wort?

Old 06-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #1
johnoswald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Did I make jello in my wort?

I brewed up a new one yesterday:
9 lbs American 2 row (Muntons) and 1/2 lbs chocolate (Muntons),
mashed (very thick) at 128F for 30 min,
raised to 152F with 180F infusion and held 1 hr.
Started the run off using my newly fabbed 18" stainless steel braided sheath - worked great!
After clearing, I started collecting in my wort kettle and began to heat it up to prepare for the boil down (while sparging continued). After ~5 gal run off, I turned up the heat to get it boiling but noticed floating blobs in the wort. I scooped these floater out and they looked like jello, but brown like Thanksgiving gravy when it cools down.
What was this stuff?
I have been doing a protien rest on previous batches with this malt, but skipped it on this batch to increase the head retention and body. Was the jello coagulated protien?

Old 06-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoswald
...mashed (very thick) at 128F for 30 min...
...I have been doing a protien rest on previous batches with this malt, but skipped it on this batch...
Looks like you did do a protein rest? In any case, I would guess that the blobs were indeed protein/break material.