Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Hopalicious clone

Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #11
DuffMantt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

swstim, nice job doing this. Sounds like it turned out to be a decent cascade apa. I'd be curious to see how scaling back the grain bill as you mentioned would contribute.

BTW, just brewed a session Ambergeddon clone last night ~ 4.5 abv target. Smells great bubbling away in the primary...

Old 05-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #12
evandena
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swstim View Post
And the results... (recipe in post #8 above)

Mine on the left, commercial Hopalicious on the right.

First impressions - They're very close. Closest clone I've done.

Color - Clone is slightly too dark. I did a comparo a couple days before this picture was taken and I swore the color was identical.

Aroma - Cascade is definitely right for this. Hopalicious has a nice earthy aroma that's less in mine. Next time I would try double dry hopping, or more.

Bitterness - Mine has a bit of a harsh bitterness that's not present in H. I would dial the IBU back by 5 for next time and go with FWH as DuffMantt suggests.

Malt - Very close. I wouldn't change the grain bill for a redo except to dial everything back slightly; maybe just skip the carapils. I ended up on the plus side of 6%; should be a touch less which is reflected a bit in the flavor. I like the balance however, so bringing the grain bill down a touch with the IBU should keep the ratio about the same.

Other - Lacing is better (as usual) with the homebrew. Also, Hopalicious has a ton of hop solids floating around (somewhat visible in the photo) that aren't in mine. I didn't filter, or even secondary for that matter, but I did cold condition and then keg condition for a couple weeks.

I hope someone benefits from this; please reply back if you give it a shot!
I'll try your modified recipe this weekend.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:37 AM   #13
nbrack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
And the results... (recipe in post #8 above)

/
I hope someone benefits from this; please reply back if you give it a shot!
Thanks for sharing! I have been looking for a recipe and will be brewing your recipe in a couple weeks with your suggestions!

Old 10-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
P_Bio
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
I brewed a Hopalicious clone yesterday using DuffMantt's advice. I "only" did 8 hop addditions. Recipe is below. I'll report back in a few weeks and let you know how it went!

Batch Size: 5.25 gal
OG: 1.059 SG
Color: 6.6 SRM
IBU: 36.8 IBUs
ABV: 6.0%
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Mash: 152 for 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
3.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Boil 1.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) (1L starter)
1.00 oz Cascade [6.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days
I brewed this a couple of months ago. I followed pretty much the exact same recipe. My OG was 1.052 in about 5.5 gal.

Fermented at 71 deg with 1056 but I hit a FG of 1.004 so pretty low, I always seem to go lower than the FG I want and can't figure out why.

I racked to secondary for a week to dry hop, cold crashed and added gelatin. Then bottled for 3 weeks.

Tasted the first bottle tonight and the color is very good. A slight hazy golden color, not as amber as ale asylum based on the pictures. I moved away from Madison a year ago and can't remember exactly the beer color.

Taste is a little off to me. Not bad, just not as hoppy as I remember. I don't know how, since the hop additions are crazy. But I wonder if my high attenuation is a cause of this?

Anyways, its pretty good and I'm happy with the results. I suspect I won't get hop appearance as the bottles age. So going back I might up the hops a tiny bit and maybe dry hop with 2 oz.

Thanks so much for the recipe. I think this is one I would love to try again and it brings me back to the Madison days, which ain't always bad

Old 10-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
JJL
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've seen this bottled before. Which I suppose isn't that big of a deal since you could look at their whole operation while standing in the bar at their old location. But, I believe they also run the beer through a Randall type of device right before they bottle it to give it really fresh hop aroma.