Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I Have Blowoff - Is Everything OK?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default I Have Blowoff - Is Everything OK?

Well I have officially had my first blowoff problem. I know I have been pushing it but I keep using the basic airlock, until today. Thankfully, I caught it early. It had only been oozing for about a hour. I modified the airlock and set up a blowoff tube.

Here is my question; why are some fermentations so much more active that others. On this batch I am using Wyeast German Ale yeast. I have used it before and the fermentation was a little more active but not too much for a standard airlock. This one is nuts. I kind of feel like the fermentation got going a little quick but it was within the 5 -15 hours that is expected. I pitched the yeast with the wort at 72°. I have the bucket in my workshop. I noticed active fermentation in 8 hours and by then the room temp was down to 65 so I don’t feel like there are any temperature issues. Does any of this sound not right?

Let me eat when I'm hungry, let me drink when I'm dry
Two dollars when I'm hard up, religion when I die
The whole world is a bottle, and life is but a dram
When the bottle gets empty, Lord, it sure ain't worth a damn
Old 02-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You're fine, every fermentation is different. I started 2 batches the same day and pitched the same type of dry yeast. One needed a blow off the other didn't. I think as long as you don't have wild temp swings you'll be fine.
Creag `An Tuirc
A Highlander likes two things naked. The other's Scotch.
- Howard