Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Should I do a rest??

Old 02-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
wildwest450
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Should I do a rest??

My lager is only 5 days old and it's at 1.019, started at ,.053, no discernible butterscotch taste. Should i let temp go up for the last few days? It's my first lager and I don't want to screw it up. It's been fermenting at 50f-52f. If I unhook my controller it will go up to about 58f to 60f. The krausen has fallen about half way. Used 830 yeast

Old 02-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No real need if you cant detect any diacetyl, but it won't hurt anything. I usually end a few degrees warmer anyway because it helps the yeast stay awake and finish up a little better. Letting it sit on the yeast for a while longer can also take care of any diacetyl. I let my lagers sit on the yeast for at least 2-3 weeks before I rack it anywhere.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 02-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6031 Times on 4300 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

Even though the SG is down, I wouldn't do anything until the krausen falls.

Even if there is no butterscotch taste, there still may be some diacetyl. It's only butterscotch in large amounts- in smaller amounts, I'd say that it is "slick" or oily. If you taste it again, see if you have any oiliness on your tongue. It's more subtle than the buttery taste, but it's a definite sign of diacetyl.

I had a maibock in the primary for 2 weeks, and I racked it today. No diacetyl at all, so I just racked it and will begin lowering the temperature tomorrow. I used German bock yeast, and pitched at 48 degrees. I fermented it at 47-48 degrees.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

The rest for Lagers is so easy to do, that there's almost no reason to NOT do it...Ales diacetyl rests are a little more tricky...if you don't have a fridge (one way for ales is to cool them)..or you could just leave them alone according to what I found here; http://www.homebrewtalk.com/1080693-post43.html

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew