Specialty Fruit Beer Midnight Harvest (Blackberry Honey Wheat)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everfrost

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast Labs 1084 Irish Ale
Yeast Starter
2 Quart
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
28.1 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 65F
Tasting Notes
See Below
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3 lbs 4.8 oz Dark Liquid Extract (17.5 SRM) Extract 36.26 %
3 lbs 4.8 oz Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 36.26 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 5.49 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.49 %
8.0 oz Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 5.49 %
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 10.99 %

1.00 oz Pride of Ringwood [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 3.2 IBU

1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

6.00 oz Blackberry Extract (Bottling 5.0 min) Misc
3/4 cup Corn Sugar (Bottle)

This was back from when I first started, so it was an extract with steeped grains brew and only single fermentation. This is also my first recipe post, so be gentle.

This has been by far my most popular beer. I have received more compliments on the flavor and characteristics of this beer than any other I have made. Nice dark color. Beautiful aroma and tasty flavor. The blackberry really comes through, which is what I wanted. I have one bottle of this left, which would be about 2 years old now. I will definitely be making this one again, soon hopefully, as I'm now starting my all grain adventures and really am wanting to make more of this. I'd give this 45/50 easily!

Let me know if you have any questions, comments, or decide to brew this up...

Chad

This looks delicious. it is what i plan on brewing for my next batch.
but i have a couple questions.
being relatively new to homebrewing...did you add the blackberry extract at bottling or during your wart boil?

This looks delicious. it is what i plan on brewing for my next batch.
but i have a couple questions.
being relatively new to homebrewing...did you add the blackberry extract at bottling or during your wart boil?

Add it at bottling. Just add it to the bottling bucket.

I bought everyting except the honey this past friday, I will be brewing it probably next friday night. the hbs i go to didn't have "pride of ringwood" so i subbed with cluster?and used nottingham yeast cause thats all i use. I can't wait!

well, its Pretty much mind blowing/amazing one of the greatest parts is the darkness of it.
the wife approved. I will be brewing and tweaking it in the soon future. I will post what i do.

Freakin Amazing

Digging this up from a shallow grave, how would you suggest using blackberries instead of extract here? I'm thinking around the end of week 2 or 3 in secondary I could rerack this onto the fruit, maybe 5 pounds, and put in a campden tablet or two? Or would you say the secondary needs more time? This sounds much quite tasty and I have about 3-4 pounds of fruit handy.

I'm thinking about brewing this next weekend. Sounds great. Couple questions though:

The 6oz of extract doesn't come off too strong? I've actually never used any extract in any batch that i've done so I'm a total newb to it. I don't want it to be overpowering at all.

They dont have the "Pride of Ringwood" hops at my local HBS, what would be a good substitute?

thanks!

long time lurker, first time poster :mug:

I brewed this a couple of week ago, modified for Nottingham Yeast, and was surprised at how dark it was as well. Interestingly enough, I ran into a problem in my whole operation. I had a keg of Mac & Jack Amber that I thought was about half full. It came up air (or CO2 as it were). I was totally out of beer... Not Good. The Midnight Harvest was a total of eight days old at that point. I kegged and force carbonated two gal and left the rest to seconary with the Blackberry extract. I hope it turns out well. The young harvest wheat without the blackberry, and short a lot of aging, is actually quite drinkable anyway. Not that I have a choice, but it's really good stuff. I hope the finished product comes out ok. At this rate, it won't get much time to age.

I will be modifying the recipe to produce more of a caramel colored beer. 20L and 60L instead of the black barley and special roast. I will probably still use an ounce of roasted barley just to give it a slight hint of darkness. Color should be around 16srm.

Hey Everfrost, Have you by any chance ever modified this recipe for All-Grain? I wouldn't think it would be too difficult, but it's probabily a multiple rest mash.

This sounds like an amazing recipe!

I definitely want to make a batch in my cooper's kit. Where do you acquire the other ingredients?

I read about DME, and Yeast #s and such.

Is there a resource I can use to understand a little better?

Back